Two flashing lights before shutdown

leestevelee

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016
Hello,

I have a Toshiba L745D laptop which is about 5 years old. It was working fine until sometime last year when it would shut down unexpectedly.

I don't use the laptop for anything other than regular internet and word processing.

I first thought it was an overheating problem so I bought a cooling pad. The problem persisted so I used canned air to clear out dust. I've opened it up all the way (dusting as I went) and replaced the thermal paste on the CPU.

I read somewhere that it might be an overheating battery issue so I purchased a new battery (exact same model as the original) directly from the Toshiba website.

If I remove the battery and only use it plugged in there are no issues (other than occasionally hitting the cord and losing power) but this means the portability aspect of having a laptop is gone.

One thing that I eventually noticed is that when the battery is in (with or without the power cord plugged in) there are two orange lights which flash in tandem. When I see these lights I know a shut down is imminent. There does not appear to be a code in the flashing lights just a steady blinking.

I've tried removing the battery and power cord, holding down the power button for over a minute, then plugging everything back in and I've updated the BIOS.

I'be searched high and low through forums on various sites and I'm now at a loss. I'm hoping someone can help me.

Thank you

Solution
The reason why I think that the adapter is defective, with the battery in the laptop, the adapter does not provide enough current to charge the battery and supply the laptop simultaneously.

leestevelee

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Thank you for answering but I don't understand your response since the laptop works fine with the adapter when the battery is removed.

leestevelee

Commendable
Feb 18, 2016

Thank you so much. That makes complete sense. I will get a replacement as soon as I can.