Two sound devices on one computer.

Buffstickman

Estimable
Nov 24, 2015
Here's my situation, My son loves to watch Elmo while I game so I bought a second monitor so he can sit in my lap and watch Elmo. The only thing is i have the speakers (for him) playing his TV and my headphones playing my game but, I hear his Elmo through my headphones and he hears my Overwatch through his TV as well as Elmo.
Is there anyway to eliminate the sound from one device?

Solution
I don't think a separate sound card will do anything for you unless your game can have a sound card specifically selected in the options. Which as stated above. Most games do not have this option.

How will you define where browser sound goes rather then all other internal computer sound?

Another sound card most likely wont change that.

You might be able to do something in order of using a browser plugin to select another audio source or maybe work out a solution with virtual audio cable. But at that point you are better off coming up with another solution all together. Like using a separate system.

dorsai

Honorable
Nov 23, 2013
I don't think so...it may be possible to isolate the TV sound to a specific audio device like a USB audio card while having your games audio sent through just the motherboards audio hardware. I have never run into this so I am just guessing. If there are separate audio software volume controls for the USB and motherboard audio systems you may be able to mute single streams on the separate devices in order to do what you're looking for.

androbourne

Prominent
Jul 18, 2017
I don't think a separate sound card will do anything for you unless your game can have a sound card specifically selected in the options. Which as stated above. Most games do not have this option.

How will you define where browser sound goes rather then all other internal computer sound?

Another sound card most likely wont change that.

You might be able to do something in order of using a browser plugin to select another audio source or maybe work out a solution with virtual audio cable. But at that point you are better off coming up with another solution all together. Like using a separate system.

Solution