U.S. Army Overhauls Training; Toughens Up Geeks

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

one-shot

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2006
[citation][nom]nicklasd87[/nom]one-shot, you only get an assault charge if you are convicted in court, as an adult. the argument in this article is for younger kids to embody these principles of physical fitness, people that won't necessarily screw up their future by getting in a scuffle on the school yard...it is too late for us though unfortunately....[/citation]

I agree with that, but you can still be charged as an adult while under 18. Kind of strange how that works. I've always been in great shape and notice others who aren't. In my weight training classes I noticed just how out of shape most students were. This generation needs to play less video games and get outside more. A person on my Steam list had 125 hours of BF Bad Company 2 in two weeks. I think some change in how enlistees are trained is a good thing.

G

yes hand to hand training will definitely help when you're stuck in Iraq or Afghanistan for 6 months at a time. I think I know this feeling very well...

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Today's society has almost made it a crime to be a real man. Someone who wears flannel, smokes unfiltered Marlboro cigarettes, eats steak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Someone who passes on the fruit parfait for some corn nuts and beef jerky. Someone who carries a sturdy handgun on his waist, and brings a rifle if he's expecting trouble. Someone who can take a punch and hit right back instead of wondering if he has his lawyer's business card in his man-purse. If you have testicular fortitude, you're labeled a criminal or worse. What the military needs to do is bar anyone without a beard. Make these dudes cage fight for beds and leave the rest in the woods to find and cook food for themselves. Start handing out medals for various Acts of Manliness like taking charge in an argument and kicking everyone's ass, and anyone else's who might have heard for good measure.[/citation]
Now that was entertaing!
How about a happy medium? I'll kick your ass if you piss me off, and I'll wear a flannel jacket, and I'll griw a beard, but I'll eat a salad and do some cardio. :)

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Yeah, I had to laugh at Modern Warfare 2 being a simulation and training people in tactics. Getting shot by 5 bullets and hiding behind cover for a few seconds while you regenerate and then ramboing forward so that the bad guys stop respawning isn't what I'd call a simulation or tactics I'd recommend ANY soldier doing.

There's no respawn points in real life and you don't run faster with your knife out.

mdc837837

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
yall are hilarious, nobody who has any intelligence joins the army. They dont want thinkers, they want blind obedience.

ravewulf

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]TA152H[/nom]It's probably not just fist fighting he's talking about. I see the newer generation is very gay, and weak as well. They don't work out hard, they don't like getting their hands dirty, and they just don't have the toughness. When we were kids, you were outdoors all day playing sports (some of which included boxing) or riding a bike, not playing video games and using gay terms like "eye candy". But, starting a fight was always considered a bad thing.So, now the army is getting these effeminate girly men, and struggling with it. Society has changed. I don't know if their training can undo a lifetime of laziness and weakness. For some, they need to be challenged physically and their nature will make them accept it, but for many, it might be too much to ask after eating Twinkies and shooting space aliens from a sofa all their lives.We better start working on killer robots.[/citation]
EXCUUUSE ME. I AM GAY. I AM NOT AN "effeminate girly man" AND I RESENT THAT PHRASE.

Gays are a lot more masculine than you seem to think. Most of us are not "MTV Gay" and think that the gay stereotype is pathetic. I have no disire to be like that.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
People tend to read what they want into articles. Nowhere in this article did it say they want kids to fight in school. Having the ability to fight or defend yourself through physical fitness is the focus. Marcus states "In other words, today's youth are spending more time inside fighting in the virtual world rather than scrapping it out on the playground." in response to what LTG Hertling only commented on "capabilities or ability to go into a fight" which is not the same thing.
A black belt in Karate has been trained and is physically fit. He has the capabilities and ability to go into a fight but outside of a controlled environment he may have never had to put it to the test. On the flipside a wimp that couldn't fight his way out of a wet paper bag without any ability to fight can throw a punch in anger.

maigo

Distinguished
Apr 8, 2009
I'm fairly sure he meant 'soft' as in flabby, not an unwillingness or inability to stand up for what you believe. He's talking about being physically capable of beating someone to death

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
Army people make me puke. They think that the mothers bear and raise children just for the army to take them and send them to faraway places to fight people they've never seen before for reasons they'll probably never learn.

Yes young people need to be tough and strong but not for some army shithead's fun.

gilbertfh

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zingam[/nom]Army people make me puke. They think that the mothers bear and raise children just for the army to take them and send them to faraway places to fight people they've never seen before for reasons they'll probably never learn.Yes young people need to be tough and strong but not for some army shithead's fun.[/citation]

I don't usually respond to comments like this but this got under my skin as I am sure it was meant to. Most countries enlistment in the military is voluntary. The people that do enlist in the military are just that people. There are good people and bad people in the military just as in the civilian population and although they follow orders they have free will. Falsely stereotyping Army as grunts that want baby factories to fight more wars is completely closed-minded and ignorant. Get out of the B-rated movie world and come back to reality.

TheCapulet

Distinguished
Jan 21, 2009
[citation][nom]Princeofdreams[/nom]And while your at it, why not play a banjo and tell your sister "Hey you got a preeeety mouth" What a red neck ass hole[/citation]
haha I think you proved his point quite well, "Prince of Dreams"

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]Today's society has almost made it a crime to be a real man. Someone who wears flannel, smokes unfiltered Marlboro cigarettes, eats steak for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Someone who passes on the fruit parfait for some corn nuts and beef jerky. Someone who carries a sturdy handgun on his waist, and brings a rifle if he's expecting trouble. Someone who can take a punch and hit right back instead of wondering if he has his lawyer's business card in his man-purse. If you have testicular fortitude, you're labeled a criminal or worse. What the military needs to do is bar anyone without a beard. Make these dudes cage fight for beds and leave the rest in the woods to find and cook food for themselves. Start handing out medals for various Acts of Manliness like taking charge in an argument and kicking everyone's ass, and anyone else's who might have heard for good measure.[/citation]

And you're probably just regular nerd, either tall, underweight and phyically soft, or short, overweight, and extra physically soft. You probably have none of this 'testicular fortitude'. Plus, that sort of image is completely backwards. You can be a man without sounding like a bad stereotype from some B rated US film.

G

I would have to agree with the General on this one. It's been a concern of mine for years. We can pump out button pushers like no one else, but we can no longer grow men and women who can both fight and think with skill (and no, playing war games on your console with friends does not give you any true skill at combat).

What we have is a set of generations who would like to argue with you until they are blue in the face, take a break, and then argue some more. People, talking and arguing is for politicians (as evidenced by how screwed up our government and society is today). The enemy, trust me, he won't be talking or arguing with you. He will shoot you, cut you, punch you, torture you, or whatever it takes to beat you. And it's all about environment. Our children play video games all day and eat twinkies. Our enemies' children tend to live in hostile environments where they have to learn early on how to fight and fend for themselves. It really is lopsided.

Thanks to the military for all that they do and their continued efforts to generate a class of people who know what respect, honor, and sactifice mean.

Feel free to slam my comments at will.

shogo238

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
I see a valid point to nearly all sides here. But when it comes down to it and agreeing with war or not, you have to ask yourself this: Do you want the boys who are defending our freedom to be hesitant and even the least bit uncapable, or would you rather them be confident, efficient, and when nessecary, brutal? After all, the object of war is not to die for your country...its to make the guy on the other side die for his :)

(please, no one quote this to flame me on anti-mil stuff, or anything about killing civs and the like.. thats all beside the point)

shogo238

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010

amen.

thorimmortal

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2010
Maybe give the enemy games to play and they too will become soft and not want to fight. then we can play video games and not kill each other. if that doesn't work out it doesn't take hand to hand skills to push the 25 kill streak button IRL.

Status
Not open for further replies.