U.S. Army Overhauls Training; Toughens Up Geeks

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kary

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
This is the problem with our military and it's old attitudes. They see Americans getting "softer" and less fit for fighting and want to change that. That's not the goal, learn why Americans are getting softer and apply that to Americas enemies! :)

...oh...wait...giving them all our money and toys.....yeh...let's go back to shooting them

thackstonns

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2008
[citation][nom]SteveLord[/nom]They are right about this-Recruits are lazier, fatter and act like babies more than ever. Drill Sergeants are not allowed to be so hard on them for fear of complaints.Anyway, there's even more changing that isn't mentioned here. All of it not having to do with gaming at all.(11B/11C Natl Guard 2001-2009)[/citation]

I started out as an 11H and then changed to 11B 1996-2001 Gotta love Ft Benning

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Maybe its not so much a problem with recent recruits as with the wars being fought are really none of our business. Ill tell you this much. If someone said to me we were being invaded and we needed to step up and protect our way of life then Im all for it. Im gung ho. Now tell me that im going to fight and maybe lose my life for a country full of people who for hundreds of years were too stupid to work it out on their own then Im not going to be very disciplined. Im just saying.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
Maybe its not so much a problem with recent recruits as with the wars being fought are really none of our business. Ill tell you this much. If someone said to me we were being invaded and we needed to step up and protect our way of life then Im all for it. Im gung ho. Now tell me that im going to fight and maybe lose my life for a country full of people who for hundreds of years were too stupid to work it out on their own then Im not going to be very disciplined. Im just saying.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
"While hundreds of thousands of today's youth are well trained in the tactics of modern warfare thanks things like, well, Modern Warfare 2"

bahahahaha.

yeah. the tactics in running out into open ground and getting murdered...

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
MW2 teaches tactics? roflmfao.

If any modern game teaches tactics that would be Battlefield 2/2142. That is tactical. But for true tactics, look no farther then the first 3 rainbow six games and games similar.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
Unfortunately theres almost nothing that can be done. Its so easy to sit on your ass and be entertained these days. I've only recently started working out and playing sports again after nearly 7 years of gaming and sitting inside. There needs to be a program that informs and promotes the benefits of exercise. Exercising is awesome... you actually feel like you are doing something with your life.

wonspur

Distinguished
Mar 6, 2010
[citation][nom]Curnel_D[/nom]You mean the downward spiral into a lethargic lifestile isn't enough for most people? They need a 'program' to tell them to get off their asses and do something? Geesh.[/citation]

Unfortunately... have you seen advertising on tv's lately? or how about government "plans". everything has to be about a program. Me? i just got up and did something. ended up finding a pick up soccer group near by me. Its really sad i know but obesity is a huge problem i dont know how people can treat themselves like crap and expect good things in return. I'm not saying they are bad people but the fucking idiot box isnt helping anyone get off their asses.

G

I beleive the military is most deffinatly accepting the wrong type of people. I scored a 90 on the ASVAB, take MMA, workout plus ive had to bust my ass for a living since i was 14 doing concrete, ironwork, sitework not afraid to get dirty plus im smart and because i got a fucking dwi i cant serve my country but yet the little pussy's i saw at MEPS got in with no problem...it makes me angry thinking about it

Status
Not open for further replies.