U.S. iPhones Hit by Same Alarm Glitch as Europe

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

doped

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2006
before all this new tech, i set my alarm(click alarm on, and/or set the time) every night, as i still do. Why is it such a hassle? i really don't get that feature, but then again, I'm really not adopting much new tech in the means of making my day any "easier". But yeah, that bug is pretty serious, if not now, then when we go back to summertime again.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
[citation][nom]peanut_bully[/nom]For a normal person waking up an hour late or early is an inconvenience (depending on how strict your boss is). For a commercial airliner to make up or waste an hour in the air due to the AFC thinking its an hour behind or ahead of schedule is dangerous. Then there's the effects of landing slots, terminal availability, scheduled fuel/food/cleaning services, etc... No one is saying anybody's job is more or less important. I don't want to clean sewage and I'm very thankful that there are people willing to do it. But realize that qualification in the aviation industry is not trivial.The issue is that the alarm worked fine on previous versions but now it doesn't. And Apple doesn't feel compelled enough to release a fix immediately, implying they think the problem is not too serious. So yes - if Apple were in the aviation industry they would have perished a long time ago due to lack of QA.[/citation]
Software engineers for aerospace companies are no better or worse than those that work for other companies. You could take programmers from Apple (or Microsoft or Facebook or Blizzard) and they would all perform well in the Aerospace industry.

The difference lies in the procedures they use to develop & test software. As a VERY CRUDE EXAMPLE, Apple may have a programmer develop a routine and another programmer would test it and if it works, it gets "passed". In aerospace, a programmer could develop a routine and 10 programmers all test it. Not only do they test it, but they all look at the code to see if they think there are any possible "issues" that could arise. After going through several revisions and batches of testing, it will get passed.

Apple and Microsoft could do the same and you'd wait forever for a new OS release from the time it would take to perform all the same quality control as an aerospace company. Oh, and your software would cost 10 times as much in the end.

ALL software companies are guilty of releasing software with bugs. How short your memories are if you think Apple has made a huge error in having a bug get through to the end user while forgetting about other companies who have also done so. How many software (and game companies) release software that isn't ready because they can simply "patch it" over the internet at a later date? Ever bought a game and downloaded a patch days after its release? You think they fixed problems in only 2 days? No, the software went into production and shipping weeks earlier and they were still fixing bugs while product was getting sent to retail stores.

ourkidpauluk

Distinguished
May 12, 2010
Well, deleting alarms didnt actually fix the problem. In EU (two weeks ago) when BST went back to GMT, alarms went off 1 hour late unless you set them non-recurring.
As if by magic, this weekend, I had a weekend recurring alarm that went off wrongly 1 hour late at 11:30 on Saturday morning, but as if by magic, on Sunday morning it went off at 10:30!
To me it seems the clocks change as per European time properly, the alarms however are some how coded only to work when the US time changes a week later (thus why it worked sunday and not saturday).

In EU, recurring alarms work perfectly now.

Status
Not open for further replies.