U.S. Senator Writes Letter to Jobs About iPhone 4

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Nothing stops you from running... Right? They elect him because he does the best job of the candidates at hand. Think he sucks? Go get elected, and prove it.[/citation]

actually there is this one little thing that stops people from running... well two. One. He doesn't thitt turds with dead presidents on them. 2. Anyone who runs for office and isn't an incumbant gets their name dragged through the mud and if they aren't a ceo they won't have a job to go back to,and if they are, they see the buissness they run take aa nosedive. 7:10 ceos that run for office, and don't win resign from their position a week after the election ends.

Kryan

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
"While I commend Apple's innovative approach to mobile technology..."

wait, what? innovative? OH! you mean the video call...? the brilliant antenna design? the fact that one STILL can't replace the battery?
I think the good mayor needs a definition check on the word "innovative"

TheKurrgan

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
OK, At this point screw the people who buy them. Everyone knows at this point about the iPhone 4's issues, and no one is outside of 30 days yet and can return the device and back out of their contract. This is a private matter and I assure everyone that if people started to simply return the stupid thing and stop buying, its going to have alot more of of an impact than any senator writing the company.
Bottom line: if people buy it at this point or havent taken it back by now, they are fully aware of its problem and simply choose to continue using a poorly designed product. Frankly, this senator should find something a little more relevant to do with his time, seeing as how this is a private matter and doesnt involve the government, or are they going to regulate this in some fashion?
Sheeesh..

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
One things certain. Everyone who voted my comment thumbs down doesnt live in NY and has no idea how bad things are here. Unless of course you live in California.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I'm pretty sure Jobs stopped reading at the first line: "I write to express concern regarding the reception problem with the Apple iPhone 4."

...since there is no problem.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]IFLATLINEI[/nom]One things certain. Everyone who voted my comment thumbs down doesnt live in NY and has no idea how bad things are here. Unless of course you live in California.[/citation]

Yeah, I hear that AT&T reception is really really bad there, due to the concentrated number of high data users. Dropped calls everywhere. It's a horrible tragedy upon the entire city! But the good senator already wrote a pretty solid letter, that seems to imply a class action suit if Apple doesn't comply... I don't know man. Hey, are you suggesting that Cali has better reception w/ iPhones? Since I hear it's quite bad there as well. It's like a national epidemic or something, that only Verizon can save us from.

*Disclaimer:
My comment is facetious.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Nothing stops you from running... Right? They elect him because he does the best job of the candidates at hand. Think he sucks? Go get elected, and prove it.[/citation]
He gets elected because people are lazy and reelect the same guy 93% of the time.

About the article though... when did it become the job of congress to tell a CEO of a company to fix a flaw with a product they make? For that matter when did it become congress' purview to hold trials about steroid use in baseball or problems with pedals in toyotas? Schmuck Schumer should pay attention to his actual job... Keeping his constituents (ironically his district includes wall street)safe from an overbearing federal government by upholding the constitution... but he cant be bothered with such jobs I guess.

HavoCnMe

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2009
This is really getting under my skin....Maybe we (Tom's Hardware Readers) should write the Senator a letter asking him if this is really that important. If this type of stuff is, then maybe he could of got us Dedicated Servers in MW2, Fund the development of DNF, Demand Sony leave Linux support on the PS3...JMO

G

I think a blunt message to thumb Jobby boy on the back of the head is a good thing. Get some reality back.
We know he is a very dynamic excentric. These people require some assistance some times. /Thwak!!! Wake up Jobby Boy ..
Dont be so Naughty!! Good Boy .. now Go and Play with the other children.

G

Really? This is what our federal government is wasting it's time on? There's so many other pressing issues out there our government could be working on besides a design flaw in a phone.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]Computerrock1[/nom]Wow, a senator who nows how to use electronics.[/citation]

you mean a senator who knows how to get to Consumer Reports...

go on Steave, give him the one liner about holding it wrong, I dare you.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
Uhh, I'm sure whoever wrote this letter for him took about 15 minutes to write it.

You are all acting like the senator was part of a long, drawn-out process.

And people complaining about New York, try Michigan.

palladin9479

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
Umm ok idiots abound on these forums nowadays. Even though he is an elected official of rather high status, he is still a citizen. He can write letters to any CEO / company / person he wants to, just like anyone can do. I didn't see him use his position or his status as a senator anywhere in that letter. And I didn't see him put his official signature block on the bottom.

Now ... he implied quite a few things, and the wrath of a US Senator, especially one representing one of the -big- states is not something anyone wants on their back. I see this more as a gentle but firm non-official warning that Apple better fix their product or he will support the ensuring class action lawsuit brought on by his constituents.

IFLATLINEI

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2010
[citation][nom]fulle[/nom]Yeah, I hear that AT&T reception is really really bad there, due to the concentrated number of high data users. Dropped calls everywhere. It's a horrible tragedy upon the entire city! But the good senator already wrote a pretty solid letter, that seems to imply a class action suit if Apple doesn't comply... I don't know man. Hey, are you suggesting that Cali has better reception w/ iPhones? Since I hear it's quite bad there as well. It's like a national epidemic or something, that only Verizon can save us from.*Disclaimer:My comment is facetious.[/citation]

LOL Are you kidding me? What im talking about has nothing to do with iPhone recoption issues other than hes writing letters to apple about a cell phone when this sad state cant even pass a budget, is notoriously wastefull, keeps hassling the Indian nation for tax dollars every couple years, over taxes its citizens and then taxes them again. This state is so sad I think theres betetr things to do with their time than writing letters to Apple. Then I implied that maybe Californians could relate.

MeanSquare

Distinguished
Jul 9, 2008
Well, Schumer deserves to be on the right side on an issue at least once in his life, but sadly, this isn't exactly that time. The implication of his letter is that it's somehow Congresses purview to deal with this (no doubt under the hyper-extended inter-state commerce clause).
Note to Schumer re your Congressional office: You're holding it wrong.
Still, I'd rather have Congress tied up with hearings on the iPhone reception crisis than doing something that will result in yet more simultaneous taxation and deficit.
This is one situation that's saturated with free-market solutions. Let Apple customers (and potential customers) vote with their wallets (as so many new Evo owners have :)). In the mean-time, stand-up comedians, web bloggers, and tech-writers can share in the windfall of material.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
I'm actually glad to see the government start to stick its nose into Apple's business; it reminds them not to get too far ahead of themselves.

Microsoft was the company of the 1990's
Apple was the company of the 2000's
Google, I believe the iPhone 4 ruckus is your opportunity to shine.

TheDraac

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2008
Do we REALLY need a Senator writing a letter to a company about a defective or poorly designed product? What happened to people RETURNING said product for their money back because the product sucks???

Guess THAT's the abnormal thing to do...

Status
Not open for further replies.