U.S. Senator Writes Letter to Jobs About iPhone 4

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]TheDraac[/nom]Do we REALLY need a Senator writing a letter to a company about a defective or poorly designed product? What happened to people RETURNING said product for their money back because the product sucks???Guess THAT's the abnormal thing to do...[/citation]

People won't return their iPhone because they like it. It's a good phone, and it has a design flaw that is fixable. Apple should fix it. People should not have to return it because Apple is not willing to admit their mistake and offer a free method of fixing it. Any other company would offer a fix in such a case.

squallypie

Distinguished
Jun 29, 2010
[citation][nom]HavoCnMe[/nom]This is really getting under my skin....Maybe we (Tom's Hardware Readers) should write the Senator a letter asking him if this is really that important. If this type of stuff is, then maybe he could of got us Dedicated Servers in MW2, Fund the development of DNF, Demand Sony leave Linux support on the PS3...JMO[/citation]

dont forget the 999 ping on server browser of BF:BC2

CPfreak

Distinguished
May 31, 2010
[citation][nom]ct1615[/nom]things to ficus on todaywar on terrorism...nahoutrageous un-employment figures...naha health care bill no one wants...nahour government is preventing states from protecting their borders...nahour government spends money like a ceo's wife who just found out he's cheating on her with the secretary.....nahoil in the gulf...nahI KNOW!!...I will write a letter to steve jobs so I can piggyback on the whole iphone4 sucks media wave and get my name in the press!!i can't stand apple or jobs but schumer is a bigger joke. how NY elects this liberal nut election after election is beyond me.[/citation]

big thumbs up!

dcepalewis

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2010
I thought America stood for "all men equal under God" and that's why so many good Americans have laid down their lives in order to preserve just that. Forgive me if I'm wrong, but as someone who is not American it just seems a bit weird that millions complain to Apple and they're practically told to "go sit on it, it's not a problem, YOU'RE the PROBLEM!" Now a Senator has written it's a big deal? Why? If "Jobbing God" DOES treat this guy's letter any different to the thousands of others then surely it just shows he's Un-American and not treating everyone as equals. Or maybe I'm just confused?
Regards to all,
Happy to be British and not buy Apple!

decrypted

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2010
It probably went down more like "Daddy, you're a senator, and you know I'm a lefty, but every time I talk to mommy on the new phone you bought me, my call gets dropped. Can you fix it?"

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
Why are you all concerned about how much time the senator spent on this? He probably told his secretary to whip up a letter and it probably took that person all of 10 minutes, leaving him plenty of time to focus on "more important things".

There's nothing wrong with taking a few minutes to make sure a few million people don't get screwed out of a simple fix just because one company is greedy (won't give away a 50 cent item because they charge $29 for it and know people will buy it for that price).

G

The fact Apple's iPad and iPhone (4) have 'issues' is having an effect on foreign faith in U.S. products (Apple's in particular). Of course the Senator writes Jobs. It's become a matter of national interest. The U.S. economy is starting to suffer from Apple's reluctance to admit they tried to pull a Ford Pinto-stunt (and, like Ford, failed).

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Like fly-fishing, kissing babies or finishing touches to the re-election campaign?[/citation]

Exactly :)

wiyosaya

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2006
While I agree Schumer has other important things to work on, if those in power let companies like Apple get away with selling junk, it sets a precedent for other companies to sell even worse junk and get away with it.

Apple's approach to this has been to blame it on their customer as if Apple is perfect. Unfortunately, this is complicated by the droves of Apple fans who trusted Apple to come out with another good product, and with iPhone 4, have had their trust violated.

Here's another thought I had: What if someone owns one of these and is in a situation like a serious car accident or some other emergency situation were being able to make a call means the difference between their life and death or the lives and the possible deaths of others. To begin with, that type of situation is highly stressful, and to make things worse, a person in this situation has to remember to hold this phone properly? In other words, there could be situations where "hold this phone properly or die" are appropriate words to describe the circumstances.

So I say, Go Schumer, and make the government lawsuit more meaningful than the one against Microsoft.

thrust2night

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2007
Maybe Steve should ask AT&T's CEO, Randall Stephenson, to send the Senator a cease and desist letter. That should make things very interesting.

HalJordan

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]joebob2000[/nom]Nothing stops you from running... Right? They elect him because he does the best job of the candidates at hand. Think he sucks? Go get elected, and prove it.[/citation]

Exactly. Last week I didn't like the way my food was cooked at a local restaurant, so I started my own restaurant. The week before that I didn't like the way my barber cut my hair, so I decided to go to cosmetology school. Just this morning I didn't like the diagnosis my doctor gave me...

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]wiyosaya[/nom]While I agree Schumer has other important things to work on, if those in power let companies like Apple get away with selling junk, it sets a precedent for other companies to sell even worse junk and get away with it.Apple's approach to this has been to blame it on their customer as if Apple is perfect. Unfortunately, this is complicated by the droves of Apple fans who trusted Apple to come out with another good product, and with iPhone 4, have had their trust violated.Here's another thought I had: What if someone owns one of these and is in a situation like a serious car accident or some other emergency situation were being able to make a call means the difference between their life and death or the lives and the possible deaths of others. To begin with, that type of situation is highly stressful, and to make things worse, a person in this situation has to remember to hold this phone properly? In other words, there could be situations where "hold this phone properly or die" are appropriate words to describe the circumstances.So I say, Go Schumer, and make the government lawsuit more meaningful than the one against Microsoft.[/citation]

It is precisely that type of one-time emergency situation where I would say "Hold it the other way" to make your call. If you were in such a situation, you'd be happy that you had the ability to make ANY call at all. Imagine for a moment that you were in said situation without a cell phone and you had to run to a nearby payphone. On top of that, the buttons don't work well and need to be pressed hard. Even then, the mere inconvenience of having to run to the payphone AND press the buttons hard are both completely offset by the fact that there was a payphone nearby to begin with. You dealt with it and made the call to save lives.

I personally think every day usage is the bigger problem. The slogan "It just works" is clearly false advertising in this case.

figgus

Distinguished
Jan 12, 2010
I believe it is incumbent upon Apple to address this flaw in a transparent manner.

LOL, a typical backdoor-deal Democrat asking someone ELSE for "transparency"... That's hilarious!!!

irh_1974

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]The slogan "It just works" is clearly false advertising in this case[/citation]
What they mean is "It only just works"

Status
Not open for further replies.