U.S. Striking Back Against Chinese Cyberattacks

Status
Not open for further replies.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
Let's get tought and cut the internet connections to China.

Oh wait, all our satuff comes from China these days; so they can cut off our iPhones, Computer parts and 90% of the Walmart inventory.

Guess we are screwed...

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
What is the US going to do with the most powerful corporations of their capitalist government so heavily invested in China? Trade sanctions on the country who's building and supplying the parts for those PCs they're hacking? Good luck with that.

Really hard to even call anything secrets when we're such a codependent world economy anymore. What secrets do they even need? Are we secretly planning to attack them? The US attacking China in any way would start a World War at this point. It's not going to happen. Do they want weapons? It's China, not Iran, we'll give them weapons if they want. They aren't the enemy of the year.

robochump

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2010
About time US Gov't!!!

Chinese Gov't thinks they can get away with murder because they buy US debt and manufacture nearly everything (damn those are huge reasons...lol). Anyways Chinese Gov't is completely unethical and trying to catch up through stealing intellectual property and not doing their own R&D which costs US companies billions annually.

I wouldn't be surprised if China has the secret formula for Coke!!! lol

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
However cybersecurity experts believe that the U.S. government does not conduct similar hacks, and it doesn't steal from the Chinese.

Lol at us not stealing from them, but notice the significant wording in that quote "Does not conduct similar attacks" No denying that we hack them in any way, just stating that we have different methods to do so.

TeraMedia

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2006
This might sound a lot like conspiracy theory. If so, ignore the summary and just read the strategies listed below it. Then go back and read the summary.

Summary
The US is in a war with China. Right now. The only reason we don't realize it is that we're used to wars being fought with guns and bombs, while the Chinese are also willing and able to take other approaches. Why expend life defeating an enemy when you can achieve a better result by economically crippling the enemy?

If your enemy makes money by creating and selling technology, then steal their technology, market a cheaper copy short-term and a better product long-term, and defeat them at their own capitalist game. Once their technology corporations can no longer compete with you, your enemy will be forced to get their technology from you and will be under your economic and military control.

If your enemy is strong because they can grow a lot of food cheaply, then soften the market for food, cheaply buy the land they use to grow food, and make the capability yours. Let your enemy spend money on infrastructure, legislation, regulation, etc. Just keep the land, and when your enemy is too weak to fight back, it won't matter that the land resides inside their borders. You will control your enemy's food supply, and through it their economy and military.

If your enemy depends on a resource that they need to import (oil), corner the market on that import. Make friends with countries that have large quantities of the resource. Build things for them. Offer them trading concessions. Support them at the UN. Then slowly turn off the resource spigot for your enemy. Your enemy will be at your mercy to acquire their precious imported resource.

Technology: China has stated an intention of manufacturing CPUs by 2020. Combine the fact that they can dump billions of R&D into this with the possibility (fact?) that they have already stolen key IP from Intel, AMD, and countless american universities, and this becomes a very realistic possibility.

Food: Chinese are buying plots of agricultural land across the primary growing regions in the US. Whether it is individual corporations or China doesn't matter, because in China, all corporations ARE China.

Oil: China has been busy building bridges - literally - with as many resource-laden countries as possible. They have been buying up export contracts from oil-producing countries to the point that some other countries are no longer able to get the resource quantities they used to get - or need.

As far as the article is concerned, there is ultimately a question of respect here. China is stealing IP wholesale from the US, because China believes that any resulting consequences are going to be outweighed by the benefits. China does not respect demands from the US to respect and enforce intellectual property rights. Why not? Is it because they do not believe we will eventually retaliate? Or is it because they believe that by the time we decide we want to do something to retaliate in a way that would hurt China, we will no longer be able to do so?

/end conspiracy theory

TheMadFapper

Honorable
Oct 18, 2012
If I were the government I'd hire a mercenary team anonymously, detonate the city block(s) where these attacks are coming from, and then step back and say "We didn't do it. Must be US radicals."

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]If I were the government I'd hire a mercenary team anonymously, detonate the city block(s) where these attacks are coming from, and then step back and say "We didn't do it. Must be US radicals."[/citation]

*Initiating self-destruction of US's coal fired power plants and the entire national electrical grid in 3... 2... 1..."

IndignantSkeptic

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2011
Why do Chinese feel entitled to conduct industrial espionage against foreigners, disrespect scientists, and try to benefit from others research and development without contributing anything? I don't understand where they get this mentality from. I suppose they might be doing it because they feel threatened but they are being threatened because they keep being idea thieves. So it's a vicious circle I suppose, but is there something in their culture or philosophy that makes them disrespect intellectuals and the work of people's minds? Do they only respect muscle work and not brain work? Do they only value physical manual labour and consider thinkers as lazy asses or something?

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
I am okay with this since US companies do not know how to keep and retain good quality workers. Of course Chinese companies will move forward and acquire them. As for hacking, it is no different than what the US does to other countries.

fnh

Honorable
Oct 10, 2012
Has anyone heard of the Trading with the Enemy Act?

The only nation currently restricted with that act is Cuba. Maybe the Americans should re-consider what an 'enemy' is?

Mottamort

Distinguished
Oct 23, 2008
What good will imposing fines do besides slightly reduce the debt they already OWE to China.
America: China has you by the balls. Man up and own up to it (for ONCE).

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]robochump[/nom]About time US Gov't!!!Chinese Gov't thinks they can get away with murder because they buy US debt and manufacture nearly everything (damn those are huge reasons...lol). Anyways Chinese Gov't is completely unethical and trying to catch up through stealing intellectual property and not doing their own R&D which costs US companies billions annually. I wouldn't be surprised if China has the secret formula for Coke!!! lol[/citation]
hmm... US flying robot murdering civilians...

try rethinking your post

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]TheMadFapper[/nom]If I were the government I'd hire a mercenary team anonymously, detonate the city block(s) where these attacks are coming from, and then step back and say "We didn't do it. Must be US radicals."[/citation]
sounds like you'd fit right in

Status
Not open for further replies.