Ubisoft Accused of Re-Selling Torrented Music

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
This reminds me the fact that Microsoft must have problems with their own legal copies of windows and then crack them.

This is where piracy law need to change.

I'm against people selling stuff illegally, but when a user paid for something, and it's not working properly, it's just normal that they try to make it work better.

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
really kevin? really? you're making a non-issue an issue? really?
i've got a friend who has a Dj business where he's been downloading mp3's and what ever else he needs for his gis, he pays the royalty fee for each song for every time he has paid it. pretttttty sure ubi soft has paid for this music, who give a flying monkeys butt where they got it from if they have paid? REALLY!

f-14

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
and what ever else he needs for his gis
gigs*
he pays the royalty fee for each song for every time he has paid it.
played*
pretttttty sure ubi soft has paid for this music,
edit feature is not working. other wise the artists they stole from had they not paid would have their butts in court and shut this game down like the p2p's & dvdxcopy they shut down.

applegetsmelaid

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2010
This is silly. Please remember that bit-torrent is 100% legal. The word "torrent" has a negative connotation because of the trading of protected works without the author's knowledge or permission by use of this protocol. If they downloaded their material by FTP no one would care, the issue exists only because Bit-torrent has a negative association with it. In short, the material is theirs in the first place so it doesn't matter how they obtained it. They are duplicating data via a transmission protocal that people see as bad.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]Well, I didn't mention the NoCD crack, I mentioned the music only.So let's have a more relevant comparison.It's as ridiculous as Paul McCartney being charged with theft for downloading the White Album.His, he wrote it, he owns the rights to it, probably still has the master disk in a frame in his living room - doesn't matter if it got uploaded to a torrent site or not he can do with it what the hell he pleases.[/citation]

More like if Paul was remaking a Cirque de Soleil based off the white album, and instead of going back to the master discs, he downloaded an illegal copy of the web, and then used that copy for his remake.

When I first read the story, it sounded like they used pirated music they didn't know who owned in the game, not just download a torrent of the soundtrack that had a better quality.

I guess it only goes to show that people want the better quality sound. We don't want to have to keep paying for new slightly better versions every year or two. Mp3 was fine for consumer grade stuff in the 90s, but modern creation asks for a bit better sound, especially if you're going to be using it for creating a professionally made product.

mikem_90

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2010
[citation][nom]f-14[/nom]really kevin? really? you're making a non-issue an issue? really?i've got a friend who has a Dj business where he's been downloading mp3's and what ever else he needs for his gis, he pays the royalty fee for each song for every time he has paid it. pretttttty sure ubi soft has paid for this music, who give a flying monkeys butt where they got it from if they have paid? REALLY![/citation]

Its the fact that a game company, in an effort to save money/time to get a better quality soundtrack to work with, went and downloaded the soundtrack online instead of getting a higher quality version from the author.

Thus they are using a method the RIAA usually lam-blasts all the time as illegal and the reason businesses are going under so badly, to develop games. A tiny bit of delicious irony if I understand this properly.

Sure, we all know the MPAA and RIAA inflate their numbers, falsely attribute sales losses to people who earn as much in a year to buy maybe 2-3 CDs, but a larger and more frequent mountain of evidence that they're all pricks helps prove a point to more people and reduce the support base they enjoy.

Travis Beane

Distinguished
Aug 6, 2010
An entertaining read early in the morning.
I have a half dozen or so games that I legally own and have cracked anyways (3 to allow custom resolutions or aspect ratios, the others so I can actually run the game properly).

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS