Ubisoft: Apple's the New Player in Video Games

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Not only will they make it cool and more expensive, they'll make you want to buy it and you will!

hillarymakesmecry

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
I'd buy an Apple video game console if it were worthwhile. Bring on the competition. Actually make it competition though, I'm not going to buy it just because it's an Apple. I'll buy it because of it's merits.

seboj

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2008
[citation][nom]randomizer[/nom]Apple have a marketing machine that walks all over the competition. This will sell even if it sucks.[/citation]

The sad thing is, it'll sell even if they don't make one.

Apple will announce a fake gaming system, and people will throw money at it.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
Apple is more than welcome to throw their hat in the ring. I expect them to get their asses handed to them when they tack on their Apple tax but more power to them.

The problem is that Apple is not experienced in games. Yes there have been games on a Mac and the iPhone but these are all 3rd party and indie developers. They can release a console and get moderate thrid party support, but without a viable 1st party option for exclusives it would be about as successful as the NeoGeo or the VirtuaBoy.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
I ighly doub that apple will "go further" sure they may make a console , but i can see it going NO WHERE. first of Sega proved that the amrket can and will NOT support more than 3 consoles and PC's, sure that was last generation and gamer numbers have changed since then , but i still don't think the market it at the population point for 4 consoles to manage to catch enough market that they all can survive. And face it a new console brand will catch the LEAST market share, even if playstation 3 was still at it's launch prices , name reconigition would out weight the cost negative and thus apple would still loose!. maybe in another 5-10 years the market will be able to support 4 consoles , but not now, and i certainly don't see apple filling that gap. don't get me wrong, i would say the same if sega came out and said theya re gona get back into hardware , i just wouldnt see it happening no matter what company tried to be "4th". and teh competition would be healthy

but make no mistake I absolutely HATE apple's computers, if they made a compelling console , i might check it out, but then again i might pass it by just on the grounds steve job's is a douche bag that thinks his shit doesn't ever stink.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]Ser4phis[/nom]Wow, an apple gaming console. Fancy white/aluminium design. Price: only 1299 USD. The best is that each year at least 2 games are being developed for this beastBut seriously... apple could try to grap a piece of the casual gamer market currently owned by Nintendo and the WII. They certainly have the brainpower in their departments to come up with an even cooler way of input than the WII[/citation]

LOL cooler input ??? ehhh im not so sure aobut that, not sure a one button mouse would be great way to paly on a console LOL or a one button game pad LOL :p jsut my two cents on that , apple sucks worse at peripherial design than tany thing else , it's one of teh many reasons i don'tlike macs

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
[citation][nom]tenor77[/nom]Apple is more than welcome to throw their hat in the ring. I expect them to get their asses handed to them when they tack on their Apple tax but more power to them.The problem is that Apple is not experienced in games. Yes there have been games on a Mac and the iPhone but these are all 3rd party and indie developers. They can release a console and get moderate thrid party support, but without a viable 1st party option for exclusives it would be about as successful as the NeoGeo or the VirtuaBoy.[/citation]

yes you must take a step before you can run,

apple would ahve to make (or buy) a developer team and start makign software (games) first , to boot , they would ahve to relaly get thier hands dirty and make said software form multiple platforms, to get agood understanding of the game market , this of coruse would mean making games for not onlymacs , but for pc, xbox 360, PS3 and the WII, that is why i think they WONT be getting into the console market or if they do they will fail miserably. you ahve to "Know" a market before you get into that market , and right now apple has little to zero knowledge of how the game industry works these days.

demonhorde665

Distinguished
Jul 13, 2008
on another note , you could argue apple has as much knowledge as sony or Ms did when they enterd the consoel market but this would not be entirely true.
those companies both made pc and console games prior to thier first consoles, but that aside they also had something new to bring to the market with thier consoles.

when teh PS1 came out it brought a "mains tream" appeal with it's game designs mainstream being, not casual but at the same time not hardcore. they in essence filled a gap with their console , reagardless of what exprience they had , but it helped a shit laod that they did indeed ahve exprience making pc games.

MS , beyound spending bilions into R&D for thier consoel department , also ahd huge exprience with pc game software. on top of that they filled another gap in the market, thier console targeted the hard core crowd , while not as big as the casual or mainstream at the time , hard core gamer crowd has tripled in size in the last 8 years , (which is how MS was able to pul off getting second palce in US sales)

that said ther are no more gaps in the market, so until oveall gamer population goes up drastically , the market will not and can not support a 4th contender , as i stated in other post.

bill gates is your daddy

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
The sad point out of all of this is that apple could gut the technology out of an old PS1, place it in a shiny white case, slap the logo on there and call it the iGame, Steve Jobs could piss all over it to bless it, place a $1399.99 price tag on it and the iCult would slice each other's throats to get at it first claiming that it was created by Jesus himself and is superior to all other gaming consoles for the next 1,000 years.

chripuck

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2008
[citation][nom]bill gates is your daddy[/nom]The sad point out of all of this is that apple could gut the technology out of an old PS1, place it in a shiny white case, slap the logo on there and call it the iGame, Steve Jobs could piss all over it to bless it, place a $1399.99 price tag on it and the iCult would slice each other's throats to get at it first claiming that it was created by Jesus himself and is superior to all other gaming consoles for the next 1,000 years.[/citation]

LOL, so true, and you know why? "Because it just works..."

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
bgiyd- Apple fanboi's idolize Jobs like I idolize Chuck Norris.

See Chuck Norris could pull this off. If he entered the console market MS, Sony and Nintendo would instantly implode. And he'd have sex with their wives.

G

At least if Apple makes a game console it will be well designed and won't melt the graphics chip and produce red rings of death every few months or so.

Or as MS fanboys would say "The RROD is a feature" HaHaHaHa!!!!

G

I'm sure Apple could design a console that doesn't overheat and melt the graphics chip every few months or so. MS fanboys will buy the crap box because Bill Gates tells them to. Love that Red Ring of Death.

As MS fanboys say, "the RROD is a feature" LOL!

glorfendel

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2009
Total fail apple may try and make a game system they may make a better one is ps3. The ps3 wins in all hardware tests but it loses the most important thing in a console something you the maker of the console can’t control developers. The psx ps2 killed off saga and nearly got Nintendo not because it was a better system it put out 20 games to 1 on both of them toward the end of the psx it was more like 50.

Apple has to hit a target sonny may be week and unable to fight Microsoft off. Microsoft has the money the hardware the developers the concept the on line system they have gaming related patents etc.
Nintendo is not even in direct competition with Sony and Microsoft really they sell to a separate demographic that is not going to let go of there gimmick toy very fast practically at 200 or 100 bucks which is what Nintendo could sell them at and break even.

The console platform has taken on a business model that if apple fallowed would be there doom but if they don’t would keep them out of the market all together.

Example Sony loses about $100 us on every console but makes $10 to $30 on each new game sold. Microsoft brakes even or loses $50 on each console sold but takes about the same $10 to $30 back depending on the developer contract. Sony has an 8 game to console profitability Microsoft has a 4 and the wii is a profitable piece of hardware so threes beside the point.

Right now the ps3 due to low title numbers can’t make that Microsoft is just barley but still has rrod expenses and loses a lot of money on titles due to their very friendly developer contracts. The wii is profitable but also has a lower title to console number then Sony.

to make a impact apple would have to make a console that is affordable have a big group of developers (they won’t get due to their horrible development standards) low cost to produce and at this point better hardware then Sony and Microsoft (also won’t happen since apple alienates every hardware maker they deal with and Intel only stays around because they dictate the nature of their deal)

All of these things make it a downright dumb idea to enter the console environment as it is someone is going to have to leave looking more and more like Sony.

that being said people will always go out and get a console for the killer app Zelda\Mario halo final fantasy etc but with the prices and the economy there has to be something else around or down the road apple would have to pay off some one big to bring a few huge titles there way witch won’t happen the potential loss is so big apple would have to put up all the money and they are not that big.
This is probably all mute he most likey means the iphone\iPod

Herbert_HA

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2009
I believe many of those who say you can play games with macs never even tried, but keep saying it sucks. I've said it before, i'll say it again: I game on my mac (NW2, COD4, Lego Star Wars, Spore, Prey), with excellent graphics and frame count. The games that weren't ported, I play with Windows without any sort of problem (Medal of honour Airborne, The Sims 2).
No arguments on the price of the hardware, it sucks, but to say you can't game on a mac is an enormous missconception.

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
[citation][nom]Herbert_HA[/nom]I believe many of those who say you can play games with macs never even tried, but keep saying it sucks. I've said it before, i'll say it again: I game on my mac (NW2, COD4, Lego Star Wars, Spore, Prey), with excellent graphics and frame count. The games that weren't ported, I play with Windows without any sort of problem (Medal of honour Airborne, The Sims 2). No arguments on the price of the hardware, it sucks, but to say you can't game on a mac is an enormous missconception.[/citation]

No ones saying you can't game on a Mac, just that it's slim pickings and Apple has never made games a priority. They support games like Nintedo supports their next peripheral. It's there if anyone wants to use it, but odds are no one is.

G

Blizzard has always been very Mac friendly over the years and make sure their games run well on Macs, even pre-intel.

The Schnoz

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2008
[citation][nom]jerreece[/nom]Don't forget that the iPhone is currently only available to AT&T Gamers...[/citation]
Only to AT&T gamers in the US. Remember that the iPhone has sold over 20 million units in just a few years, but I still don't think its a player in gaming for the reasons listed in my previous post.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]joshwood123[/nom]huh? how can u say that? PCs that run windows (MADE BY MICROSOFT) are close to 90-high 80% of the computer market! APPLE is crap in a nice white, aluminum case. if apple makes a console, it will be slow, have no games, look nice, and "never crash" and cost 2X more than something 10X better[/citation]

I was trying to make an analogy. Apple is in the same market position in the portable media market as Microsoft is on the personal computer market.

As for being slow ... how would you know? MacOS X last check boots up and loads applications faster than any Windows variant I've used and the only Windows OS that's close to its boot up time is Windows Server 2008 R2.

I don't know why there are so many Microsoft fanboys here and obviously trying to educate people is useless here and I'm sure many of you obviously think I'm an Apply fanboy. I don't even own an iPod and never had and probably never will. Granted, I do have an aluminium Macbook ... that's the only Apple product I have. However, I support competition so I support Apple for entering into the gaming market because I can see them as a big force.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS