Ubisoft: Apple's the New Player in Video Games

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shadow703793

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2007
As for being slow ... how would you know? MacOS X last check boots up and loads applications faster than any Windows variant I've used and the only Windows OS that's close to its boot up time is Windows Server 2008 R2.
OSX is great and easy to learn but gaming (as in games) are lacking for it. Also remember Apple pretty much stole (in a certain sense) most of the core code for OSX from various linux distros.It's a good OS and sadly they don't allow it to run on PCs because it would probably tarnish the "Apple" logo due to driver conflicts,etc like that of Vista.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Yea, Toms Hardware isn't MAC friendly, obviously. Anything that even remotely bolsters the competition gets bagged. I am almost ready to stop reading reviews here because of the backlash I get from posting my honest opinion. 14 negative thumbs? Because I think people are ridiculous for SMASHING Apple for trying to be competitive? I love my PC and will always... but if I had the money, eh ehm... they ARE expensive, if I had the money to purchase a Mac Pro, I would and would sit it right here next to my PC. All I am trying to say is that people should not be so BIASED against Apple! They make a great machine! They OWN the music and video industry... sounds more like people are jealous. Wait, spoiled rotten is more like it. If mommy and daddy bought them a Mac Pro they would be pissing and moaning about how GREAT it is. Again, GROW UP and post something a little more UNridiculous.

spiketheaardvark

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2009
personally I doubt apple can compete in the console market.

When Microsoft built the Xbox directX was their ace in the hole. It made porting existing games to their console easy. It decreased the learning curve for developers so they got lots of games. When it comes to consoles it's all about the games. Apple doesn't have an existing gaming platform to build off of.

They might be able to compete in hardware but unless they get the games they'll fail

They could try to compete in the same market as the wii, Much of Nintendo's success comes from their existing gaming franchises. They put out a console they know they have the games because they'll make them. And Apple might just find Nintendo can beat them at their own game. Any one that can get a technophobe like my grandma to play a video game knows a thing or two about usability.

deltatux

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Shadow703793[/nom]OSX is great and easy to learn but gaming (as in games) are lacking for it. Also remember Apple pretty much stole (in a certain sense) most of the core code for OSX from various linux distros.It's a good OS and sadly they don't allow it to run on PCs because it would probably tarnish the "Apple" logo due to driver conflicts,etc like that of Vista.[/citation]

There is little to no Linux code in MacOS X. The project you're referring is the FreeBSD project. Apple took the BSD userland to make MacOS X UNIX compliant. They didn't steal the code as that code is the opensource portion of MacOS X. Unlike Windows, the core system portion of the operating system is opensourced for anyone to browse through and contribute. Apple is an active member of the opensource community.

One thing I also found out is that people keep mistaken that Apple wants to repursuit the home video game market which is not even what this article is about. We are talking about the PORTABLE VIDEO GAME MARKET. This market is exactly what Sony and Nintendo are in with the PSP and DS (respectively). So before fanboys turn this into another Windows vs. Mac war (Mac is a PC but PC cannot be a Mac ... legally). If people would just grow up and actually read the article and understand how the market really works then these stupid fanboy wars wouldn't be raging on the comment system. Also, it's better if people actually understand Apple products than just comparing prices because if you actually see the root of MacOS X and some of their hardware, the price is fairly justified. Granted, the iPod Classic isn't much than a hard drive with an MP3 interface on top ... to me that isn't really worth the high price, but when you look at the iPod Touch, it's a totally different story.

pharge

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
[citation][nom]spiketheaardvark[/nom] Any one that can get a technophobe like my grandma to play a video game knows a thing or two about usability.[/citation]

That brings up an interesting point. Since aging of the population (more and more seniors) is a major problem in many countries (specially in Eurpoe and some developed Asian countries), if somebody (maybe Apple) can develop a console targeting that market they may actually sell well. Remember... many of peope in that population have time, money, but not very familar with computers. They do not need something light fast and full of hundreds of function. They jsut need something user friendly and fun to play. Look at Wii. It is already eating part of this market.

nelson_nel

Distinguished
Feb 4, 2009
First, this is not news. Second, I can't stand how these editors have to make any irrelevant reference to Apple they possibly can. Third, who cares? More consoles means weaker games. Why do I need to buy Madden on 4 or 5 systems? Now just imagine why developers want to even have to port that over X amount of times. Longer dev times, less quality. Thanks Apple.

johan06

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2009
If they really want to have a blast on video games maybe they should consider creating a game like world of warcraft, have some surveys and for sure a lot of gamers who grinds warcraft gold will participate and will give them more ideas what game they should pursue doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.