Ubisoft: Project Cafe Is Really Fantastic

Status
Not open for further replies.

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
"That’s quite a tease. Nintendo hasn't officially revealed the specs of its next console, but there's indication that it will be a bit more meaty than the current Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."

I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. The 360 and PS3's technology is ancient by today's standards, and being a "bit more meaty" than that isn't enough imo. Nintendo is planning to recapture the "hardcore" console gaming market, I woulda expected the specs to be more aggressive.

Toter

Distinguished
May 3, 2009
It will have to be pretty special to interest other console/pc gamers to spend £xxx.xx on something that could be outdated pretty quickly

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
OH ITS FANTASTIC IS IT?

well ill be. i HONESTLY thought that all the partners would say its a pile of crap! after all its not like theyre gonna be making games for it or anything! SMH.

opened up my GI today, and someone said that it was less of a gimmick than the wii was... that seemed to be the most honest opinion i have heard as of yet

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]"That’s quite a tease. Nintendo hasn't officially revealed the specs of its next console, but there's indication that it will be a bit more meaty than the current Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. The 360 and PS3's technology is ancient by today's standards, and being a "bit more meaty" than that isn't enough imo. Nintendo is planning to recapture the "hardcore" console gaming market, I woulda expected the specs to be more aggressive.[/citation]
updated r700 core is going to be able to push 1080p easy compared to what current consoles CANT do.

im assuming the IBM core is stronger than 260's as well. face it, what kind of games does nintendo make anyway? just brightly colored blocks, thats enough tech for years! just make it

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
The specs haven't even been released yet, the average person is going on speculation and rumors. Meanwhile professional publishers that HAVE actually gotten info straight from NIntendo are getting excited about it. Still, I'll wait for the opinion of the major 3rd party guys like Konami, Capcom, and Square/Enix. They're the ones with exclusives that have really swayed things in a system's favor. One of the rumors had Final Fantasy 15 landing on Project Cafe. I have my doubts, but if that turns out to be true, Nintendo really could have a new SNES on their hands.

As far as competition...well I don't see MS going anywhere, but I'm not sure how well Sony will do with their next system. They lost a lot of reputation over the past few years, and they've always been dependent on 3rd party exclusives. On top of that, every Playstation has had a new type of media player as a bonus. CD, DVD, BluRay, but what are they going to have in 2015, BDXL? It's not really a necessary format so far, especially for games, what's going to be their selling point for PS4?

aznguy0028

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2007
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]updated r700 core is going to be able to push 1080p easy compared to what current consoles CANT do.im assuming the IBM core is stronger than 260's as well. face it, what kind of games does nintendo make anyway? just brightly colored blocks, thats enough tech for years! just make it[/citation]
Yea, I've read articles about the r700 core on the project cafe before too. Thing is though, 1080p will be easy on the console, but nintendo themselves said they want to capture back the hardcore console gamers. So besides from 1080p, I would expect some sort of AA/AF settings being enabled on most games as well. With microsoft/sony doing a new hardware refresh, I'm wondering if Nintendo's specs will be strong enough to compete. If it was just colorful blocks like games on the wii, then yea, i agree w/u, that would be totally enough xD haha

dalethepcman

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2010
what's going to be their selling point for PS4?
They were hoping to try the apple approach of "Brainwash them into buying it, even if its crap" but with the recent problems they have had, I think they are now looking at an add campaign based on "Lightning never strikes the same place twice!"

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Wait what..? The Wii has sold more then PS3 and Xbox360 combined and yet the article makes it seem like Nintendo is standing on the edge of the cliff. Nintendo the company itself was founded over a hundred years ago and has dominated both the hand-held and console market since the 80s. Even if Project Cafe fails, Nintendo will still keep trucking along.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Wait what..? The Wii has sold more then PS3 and Xbox360 combined and yet the article makes it seem like Nintendo is standing on the edge of the cliff. Nintendo the company itself was founded over a hundred years ago and has dominated both the hand-held and console market since the 80s. Even if Project Cafe fails, Nintendo will still keep trucking along.[/citation]
as a business they were successful, but they still didn't capture any long term audiences. most wii owners i know have their wiis collecting dust. really pitiful actually. in that sense, they failed

i think what most people are trying to say is that nintendo cant have another gimmicky system. they wont be as lucky

adamboy64

Distinguished
Aug 9, 2010
Well, it doesn't actually matter if people use their devices after they've bought them or not, take Kinect for example. The sales are what counts.

Nintendo have been ultra-successful this gen, but I don't know how they'll do next generation.
It's good to hear this from Ubisoft.

Project Cafe being able to match 5 year old tech (PS3/360) is nothing to be surprised about, but definitely nothing to brag about either.

So yes, I'd say 360/PS3 games would port well. I'd rather see some new games than just ports all the time though.

This year's E3 conference is going to be mighty interesting indeed.

cloakster

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2007
[citation][nom]ikyung[/nom]Wait what..? The Wii has sold more then PS3 and Xbox360 combined and yet the article makes it seem like Nintendo is standing on the edge of the cliff. Nintendo the company itself was founded over a hundred years ago and has dominated both the hand-held and console market since the 80s. Even if Project Cafe fails, Nintendo will still keep trucking along.[/citation]

Well, this article is looking from a gamers perspective. There's a very large amount of gamers who bought the Wii, played Wii sports for a bit and have never touched the system since. Just looking at sales, yes they did well, but after all this time do people still love it? Not even close to as much as Nintendo had hoped.

The motion sensing tech is like all this 3D stuff in movies today. People love it at first because its all cool and new to them, but after a while everyone realizes that it is nothing more than a gimmick and just give up with it.

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
We know the graphics will not be cutting edge, as they are even outdated by today's PC standards, but still better than the XBOX 360 and PS3. It won't be long until Microsoft and Sony 'pwn' Nintendo, though.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
Lets be honest ubisoft isn't a great judge of what is "fantastic".

They prob thought their DRM for assassins creed etc was fantastic too.

Zingam

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2009
[citation][nom]aznguy0028[/nom]"That’s quite a tease. Nintendo hasn't officially revealed the specs of its next console, but there's indication that it will be a bit more meaty than the current Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3."I'm pretty disappointed to be honest. The 360 and PS3's technology is ancient by today's standards, and being a "bit more meaty" than that isn't enough imo. Nintendo is planning to recapture the "hardcore" console gaming market, I woulda expected the specs to be more aggressive.[/citation]

Yeah, but then Nintendo should start paying developers to make quality games unlike all these crappy looking games I've seen for Wii! They maybe fun to play I don't know but their visuals are a joke!

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]kinggraves[/nom]what's going to be their selling point for PS4?[/citation]
What would make me buy a PS4 is PS2 and PS3 backwards compatibility and a better controller. (dual shock needs to go!)
I would probably buy a PS3 now if it still had PS2 backwards compatibility.

Look at the current consoles. The hardware differences between PS3 and Xbox360 are negligible. What counts are price, exclusive games, gimmicks like Blu-ray and fanboyism.

Status
Not open for further replies.