UFC Blacklisting Fighters Signing with EA

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Dana better hope EA doesn't come out with something that everyone likes better or being unwilling to accept that EA has changed their minds will blow up in their face.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]bk420[/nom]I think UFC is not as big of a sport as it could be. Certainly it's not soccer or nfl, but still is profitable. Both parties will benefit from cooperation. But yes, it sucks to say something and then have to take it back![/citation]
??
UFC is huge now and the momentum is getting stronger ever day that goes by. People don’t stop liking it…. we just get more friends to like it with them.

It’s not fair to compare UFC to other sports like NFL (90+ years old) or Soccer, the largest sport on earth. Wait 10 years my friends, UFC will be one of the largest venues around. When I watched UFC 1 with my buds we knew it would get huge, but unfortunately they had to gain rules and weight classes to be able to fight in N.America and be available to the mass public.

Dana White was the best thing that ever happened to UFC, the company’s success is evidence of this. I support his decisions as he seems to make the right choices regardless his temperament.

I hate EA and I have the UFC game for PS3, its pretty good.

Parrdacc

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
I have been a fan of UFC since the days when they had sumo, pit fighters, kickboxers and Tank Abbot. Dana White has done a lot of good for the sport. However in this instance I believe Dana is talking trash. He can try and take the oh holy road all he wants too but he is not fooling me. He is just mad cause he is not taken the 75-90% profits from the sells.

zads

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
If I were in Dana White's position, I would feel the same way.

I wouldn't want to sign with EA sports anyway, their games all suck-
I won't even download pirated copies of their games anymore.

G

I absolutely love the fact that there is some loyalty here. Its not all about some dollar signs, but yet some respect.

G

Screw all the idiots who DON'T support Dana, I Hate these HUGE coperate Comapanys that think they can do whatever they want.
Dana gave them the chance to be a Partner in UFC and they basically spit in his face and now he should let them promote the UFC for there own GAIN ?? F$$CK that. Screw EA !
I wish there were MORE people like Dana White, at least he has the BALLS to say the truth , do you HEAR EA comming out and saying anything on the MATTER ? Course not .... they only are concerned about the $$$ and as for the people who buy there Games, tough sh$t.

Way to Go DANA . you got my Vote Sir.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]tomrippity[/nom]Dana better hope EA doesn't come out with something that everyone likes better or being unwilling to accept that EA has changed their minds will blow up in their face.[/citation]
I doubt this will happen. more than likely the opposite will happen. starting with about ESPN NFL 2K4 (I don't think I played the ones previous to that) this series used to kick the madden series @ss in my opinion. game play and the no off the wall bullsh!t plays that seem to happen with way to much regularity in madden.

how did EA handle that even though they still had better sales? they weaseled their way into an exclusive endorsement deal with the NFL. I think it was because they knew the other game was better personally and they wanted to stop as many people from finding out as possible. because if madden really was better why waste the money on such a deal? why not let your game speak for itself. I guess that's not a very business american thing to do.

so as long as White doesn't endorse or allow the UFC brand to endorse any EA game I think that's the biggest card he should have to play against EA. as for what someone said about him being in complete control that does seem like a little much and makes it seem like it would be easy to create a competing orginization if someone was so inclined with a more structured setup. though if that's better whose to say. I just think he should be more like "frowning" upon fighters who sign up with EA so to speak than blacklisting them.

whatever White does though more power to him because I dislike EA as much as the next guy and I cringed greatly when news was read about EA purchasing Bioware. :\ here's to hoping they keep their noses out of one studio at least.

n3ard3ath

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
[citation][nom]Kill@dor[/nom]Finally...its time EA has a rude awakening. They have fabricated tons of titles and made money cheaply...the only title, in my opinion, they did a good job on is Crysis. All the others fall short and they have been stealing money from us with lame releases. Thanks to the Pres. for standing up to this BS. Wish we would do the same...[/citation]

Crysis was developed by Crytek, published by EA. Be careful on your facts. EA develope and publish. Games like the EA Sport ones, the Need for Speed series (which includes alot of bad titles) and the LotR - Battle for Middle Earth series (which is overall great) are titles that are actually developed by EA.

They have done good things in the game industry, but also alot of bad ones, so I agree. They can eat ****, they can handle it with all the finances they have anyway.

sceen311

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
EA doesn't care about anything but Dollar signs.

Rock On Dana White, for grabbing your big hairy balls and telling EA to Suck It.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
Dana has done alot for the sport, but he has turned into a greedy money grubbing ego maniac in the process. I think he is going to do about as much damage to the UFC franchise as he did help it the way it's going.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]bk420[/nom]I think UFC is not as big of a sport as it could be. Certainly it's not soccer or nfl, but still is profitable. Both parties will benefit from cooperation.[/citation]

Don't get too confused here also everyone, UFC or Ultimate Fighting Championship, is just a franchise, the sport is MMA, or mixed martial arts. And not that I am a fan of EA and many of it's practices (or UBI, or many others for that matter) but for Dana to punish the fighters for wanting to make a few bucks other than what Dana decides to hand to them. I agree, EA should not have rights the the UFC moniker, but Dana does not own the sport of mma. Even tho he may believe that he does.

inglburt

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]zads[/nom]If I were in Dana White's position, I would feel the same way.I wouldn't want to sign with EA sports anyway, their games all suck- I won't even download pirated copies of their games anymore.[/citation]

It's good to see someone that has been watching the UFC since day one and kinda sees how the big picture really is. Dana is not a god and he did not invent this sport. He didn't even invent the UFC, he just pulled it out of the gutter and got mainstream recognition for it, which is a good thing. UFC is not a sport, mixed martial arts is. It suprises me that so many people don,t know this. And like I said, I think Dana even gets confused on this matter these days.

Status
Not open for further replies.