Solved! UHD: Panasonic GH5 and Panasonic HC-X1: which of them gives a better image quality?

ulixi

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
Hi, I'm studying these two cameras for UHD videos: Panasonic GH5 and Panasonic HC-X1. I watched many clips on Internet but I still don't understand well. If the both cameras have good settings, which of them gives better results with regard to image quality in open air? I mean better definition, chromatism, saturated colors, etc. etc.
I'd like to get replies only from people who used or are using both cameras.
Thanks

Solution

With "VIDEO" not "PHOTOS" it is harder to see the difference in many ways. The GH5 has the advantage of longer than 29minute videos. The GH5 also has good auto-focus in video (the guys using full-frame use follow-focus devices for smooth manual focus even if the camera has good video AF). And while good video AF speed won't matter to experts, it matters to 99% of the people buying these...

bjornl

Estimable
That depends on how much you spend on peripherals. The HC-x1 is a "tv station" style tool. It is designed to be portable and used in the field. The gh5 (with an appropriate number of add-ons) is designed to be used in studio.

If you want to compare stock vs stock, then the HC-X1 will win most contests because with a decent skill set, the built in controls it offers will give you an advantage.

ulixi

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
OK, you are right, but usually I like much more the image quality of the camera than videocamera. Therefore we have to compare apples with apples. In your opinion: if you shot in sunny day with a full frame and a GH5, you will get much better image quality in UHD or the difference is difficult to notice? Thanks

bjornl

Estimable

This is quite a different question and made "odd" by limiting the output resolution to uhd.

You can not compare a full-frame with a video camera for still image quality. It is like comparing a miata with a porsche. If the roads are really dry, will I notice the performance difference between an mx5 and a c4s? That depends on if you can drive. Similarly if you can take a decent photo, the image quality and lens selection of a Nikon d850 vs a Panasonic gh5 is ridiculous. If you are a crappy driver/photographer, it will make less of a difference. If you never use the other model, you may well be content with what you have.

ulixi

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
ohhhhhhh, why do you make that question so difficult? It is so easy to reply if you if you know the world, Therefore I reformulate the question differently:
if you and not another guy, put two cameras (GH5 and a full frame camera) on one same tripod and you make a UHD video, which video of both is better? Wich has a better image quality?

bjornl

Estimable

With "VIDEO" not "PHOTOS" it is harder to see the difference in many ways. The GH5 has the advantage of longer than 29minute videos. The GH5 also has good auto-focus in video (the guys using full-frame use follow-focus devices for smooth manual focus even if the camera has good video AF). And while good video AF speed won't matter to experts, it matters to 99% of the people buying these things.
For those 99% the gh5 is probably the best video/still hybrid.

There are still things a full-frame can do that a m4/3 can't. To most it won't matter.
A full frame camera has considerably better dynamic range. These more variations in color, more details in shadows and more details in the brightest areas where on a smaller sensor (or older full frame) there would be nothing.
There is depth of field control. A full frame camera can achieve shallower depth of field. This is the blurring of the background. For example her eye is in sharp focus and then the scene behind her gradually swims in to focus without losing focus on her.
There is light gathering. A larger sensor has more photons hitting it. Better in low light. Less noise.
Finally there is lens selection. Poor optics = poor results no matter what the sensor. Full frame cameras, particularly those from Nikon and Canon have the best lens selections especially at the high end.

I am not recommending a full frame for video. Generally those who should go that route. The GH5 is a phenomenal camera. It has very good support in video accessories. It is comparatively easy to learn and easy to use. The older gh3 and gh4 are also still great.

I use a Nikon full frame for photos and a Sony rx10 and Panasonic gh3 for video.

Solution

ulixi

Prominent
Jan 7, 2018
You are very good in theory and know a lot in the world of cameras but the practice is different. Did you even a visual comparison between GH5 and a full frame camera? As long as people are content to see stroboscopic images in 25p even in expensive cameras like Sony a7SII and they doesn't even notice the stroboscopic movement of the things or the people in the video, it is needless talking on the forums. ;)
For example the a7SII isn't superior to GH5. It is not my opinion. ;) Look as some video on youtube of a7SII vs GH5. Then I don't understand why some guys love stroboscopic movement of the videos with 25p cameras. I'm sorry but I don't understand it.
There are also some videos where GH5 can compete or even it is better than 20.000 US$ cameras.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8bQbk9zhGQc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmGYszhJgjo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkDE7rG-AQ0
http://www.videomakers.net/forum/ucp...w&f=0&p=396109
I think they don't like neither a rallenty of a 60p because it is irrelevant for some people:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Husg2YE4qRM
You are right when you wrote: everyone has a different opinion. Sure!
But will they still think a7SII is a superior camera than GH5?

bjornl

Estimable

If you had actually read what I wrote, I do own a panasonic gh3 and several full frame cameras. So yes, I compared them. However despite the full frame superiority, I use the gh3 for ease of use. What I didn't mention was due to a need for high end 1080p video I also had a gh4 and have used a gh5. None of that is relevant.

You've done what the typical fanboy does and look at videos of different things with different lighting levels done by different videographers of differing skills levels in order to support your preconceived notion.