UK: Samsung LED TV Ads Are ''Misleading''

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
Good, I agree, This is totally misleading, especially if its not even local dimming. they didn't call LCD TVs "CCFL TVs" before led backlightling did they?
OLED tvs will be a MUCH bigger step forward over LED backlit LCD tvs compared to the difference between LED backlit and CCFL backlit LCD tvs.

yet with the name progression simply being LCD -> LED -> OLED tv, which do you think the consumer is going to think was the greatest leap forward?

I mean MAYBE the sony RGB local dimming set, but these aren't even local dimming! they are nothing like a real LED tv, and I'm glad one of these European government bodys had enough technical knowledge to penalize someone for a valid reason. as opposed to the EU vs MS cases.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
[citation][nom]hellwig[/nom]Plasma TVs are also not made with blood plasma harvested from young children in third world countries. I was very displeased to find this out after I purchased one, so I'm going to sue the TV manufacturer in the UK for misleading me.[/citation]

If there was TV technology that used the blood of innocent children and was therefore called Plasma TV before plasma TVs came out, they would have been in the same boat as samsung is now.

MitchMeister-

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2006
This is the same as notebook's with "LED displays". I work at a local PC shop in WI and we sell a lot of hardware and systems. I had to check out a customer a few months ago, and he wanted to see his "cool LED display", and proceeded to set it up in the front of the store. I kind of looked at him like... yeah... LED display. He proceeds to ask me about how they make the LED's so small... and I proceed to tell him.. uh, it's actually LED Back-lit, not an LED display, sorry? Let's just say he made a big shit about it and almost wanted his money back because "everyone else's LCD's were made of LED's... " lol

wrack

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
About damn time they crack down on those ads. I have been telling lots of friends about the actual technical difference when they spend $1500 more than LCD TVs and then brag about it!

tanderskey

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2009
yeah, those advertisers can be a clever lot with all their suggesting and equivocating and nudging making you think a thing is a certain special thing or works a certain special way, even when ... its not quite true. but ad agencies and their corporate sugar daddies usually leave themselves a way out with an asterisk and some small print or by explaining their double meaning later and acting like, "What? You thought that? No. We didnt mean /that/. Only the slight and the infirm would believe /that/."

it may also be interesting to note in the Samsung product packaging (the box they come in) for their "LED TVs" i recently spied at a local Best Buy the 'L' and the 'E' and the 'D' were each stylized specially and the E was printed so each right-facing "leg" of the 'E' was in a different color, can anybody guess which colors? yep. Red, Green and Blue. RGB. further adding to and reinforcing the wrong idea you might already have in your head that LEDs are being used to "color" the display when they arent.

no doubt about it, though, i still want one. the LED-backlit LCD tvs have really pretty displays and are oh-so-sexy and thin (some examples less than an inch thick). but i'm also glad someone, somewhere occasionally steps in and says "Ah, wait a minute ... not so fast." to corporations and their shills.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]verenos[/nom]At least this didn't go to the EU they would have fined them for the use of a incorrect word and forced them to give the customers other manufacturer's tv mane in a list.[/citation]
Please name any obviously wrong EU wide decision of this kind.

r0x0r

Distinguished
May 9, 2006
[citation][nom]Cryogenic[/nom]Yes because we should always do weeks of research just to buy a hair pin ... what if it's not what it says it is, I must research on the internet to see what others think of the hair pin, if I'm a fool not to research then I deserve to be screwed over a hair pin.No, this is wrong, you should be able to go to a store see a TV set and buy it, "IF you like it" without spending days/weeks of your precious time for a mere consumer product, a simple object, it should be crystal clear what that product does and how it does it, and not waste my valuable time on nonsense like discovering if a company is trying to screw me over. The world has definitely taken a wrong turn somewhere. Good job, UK![/citation]

Cost of hairpin: less than $1. Life expectancy: maybe a few months, if you don't lose it.

Cost of LED LCD TV: $2,500+. Life expectancy: 10 years+

Dunno about you but I would definitely research something that costs over $2,500 as opposed to a disposable hairpin for less than a buck.

verenos

Distinguished
Apr 24, 2009
Kartu,

Forcing Microsoft to include software of other vendors for web browsing would be the prime exaple of this. The BMW M series has far superior rngines to a Ford Focus but I want Ford to give me the option of theat engine isntalled. This is the rational the the EU is using with Microsoft.

Hellequin

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
Perhaps I have more common sense than the average person. But I would have never thought that a LED tv was actually made of light emitting diodes. That it was was merely the lighting for the tv.

I don't think it's "false advertising" they never stated that the tv was made up of LEDs as the display technology. If the general public assumed it was made up of LEDs well one that public is retarded.. and two they shouldn't operate any electrical or motorized equipment.

Besides the UK is all about watching for false advertising when they sugar coating the CC tv's all over even in their own homes. YAY!!

gregor

Distinguished
Sep 20, 2004
[citation][nom]verenos[/nom]Kartu,Forcing Microsoft to include software of other vendors for web browsing would be the prime exaple of this. The BMW M series has far superior rngines to a Ford Focus but I want Ford to give me the option of theat engine isntalled. This is the rational the the EU is using with Microsoft.[/citation]
Wha ? What has a certain CAR manufacturers engines got to do with an anti competitive software company? Nothing. A car, I would thin, is generally accepted to not do much without an engine. An OS works perfectly fine without a browser, in fact without IE it would probably work a lot better.
Once again, MS were convicted in both the US and EU of abuse of their monopoly position, whats so hard to understand?

G

I don't get this. Why are so many people content to accept misleading advertising just because it happens a lot? Do none of you have a streak of idealism in you? Just because something happens, doesn't mean it's right. Don't you want things to improve, even if only a little bit?

I've looked at the specs of these Samsung TVs, and all the blurb that goes with them in the shops, and if it weren't for the fact that I keep on top of technological developments I could have been fooled. As it happens, I knew that OLED TVs of that size aren't ready for market yet, and when they are they'll be several times as expensive as these at initial release. But just because they made every hint, every suggestion, and didn't explicitly say "these TVs' screens are made of LEDs", doesn't mean they did nothing wrong.

quantum mask

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
It doesn't take much research to figure it out. When you go to a store to look at the TVs, the sales reps will answer your questions. You would certainely hope that the sales person would realize that the LEDs are for backlighting, or you can just read the box. I know advertizers sometimes "stretch" the truth, but we can't be stupod either.

G

There's LED backlighting, and there's LED backlighting. The complaint is against LED edge backlighting, which is a bunch of LEDs on the edge of the screen and uses light 'funnels' to spread the backlight across the screen. Different from proper LED backlighting where you the whole backlight behind the LCD is made up of grids of LEDs. The edge ones are rubbish compared to the full LED backlights (can't locally dim). That's what the complaint is against.

Status
Not open for further replies.