UK Soldiers Using iPad to Train for Afghanistan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryun

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2006
I know it sounds stupid and maybe even a little short-sighted: But the content of this article angers me. It's not because Apple has found success with the iPad and I'm bitter, and it's not because the UK is training soldiers with it and I think it's stupid.

It's because tablets have been around for freaking years now. If this tablet training really does help soldiers than it should have been implemented years ago.

eklipz330

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2008
don't worry fellow THG readers, im sure they use them as target practice. Just put up the Target app AND WALA! one less ipad for the rest of the world.

they're really changing the world over there in afghanistan, i have to say.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
I just love all this Apple news. It's so much fun to see all the haters get so riled up whenever an Apple product gets used.

And since my happiness grows with every Apple success, and the haters happiness declines, then I'm in for a few glorious years of joy while all you haters are in for years of misery.

Get over it - if your mood swings are based on whether a company does well (or not) then you are beyond pathetic.

Again I'll say it: If you're sick of Apple news then DON'T CLICK THE DAMN LINK. But then that's impossible for an Apple hater. You lack the self control to just let things blow by and feel it necessary to show up in every single Apple thread on every single online discussion forum and spew the same rhetoric over and over.

chaosgs

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2006
[citation][nom]caladbolg[/nom]Just wait til one over heats.[/citation]

LOL dont you mean when they drop one and it overheats THAN blows up like a hand grenade? Apple trying to get them to sign over the military's rights of speech so they cant tell the media about it?

coonday

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
How come from all other technologies militaries are using, the iPad is the one that gets an article? It is probably the least significant piece of technology the UK military uses.

raskarpas

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
This article is plain stupid attempt of PR from Apple, too bad Tom's is flowing with it.
PC's are used for training for ~2 decades, there's nothing "new" about that.
You want to stress the benefits of the iPad in the classroom - compare it to the pc's\laptops before the iPad was utilized.
From this article all i get is that the Army made a transition from instructors straight to iPads, which is obviously BS.

Clintonio

Distinguished
Apr 10, 2008
[citation][nom]Abrahm[/nom]What a waste of tax dollars...[/citation]
This is the UK, we don't have 'dollars'. Get your Americanisms out.

Personally, I don't see why it had to be an iPad, given how restrictive it is.

SRRAE

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
There is no way that the MOD would have bought iPads especially in this economical climate where most government departments have been told to draft up ways to save 40% of their annual budget. Taking into account the fact a £300 laptop would do the job better and be more versitile.

They would most probably have been donated by Apple for publicity and probably on condition they can release the fact to the press.
In these very bad economic times, I wouldn't blame any one who refuses donations such as this.

Even if the hardware is a piece of cr**.

brianmoz

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
ok the comments talking trash on the ipad are ridiculous because pad comps before were simply not as good. As much as you want to treat the consumer like cattle WE respond to quality. Hype works but needs a product too. But Tom's please stop with articles every time there is a new ipad use. Comps are useful in general, it isnt interesting. Are ya just trying to get us riled up?

rebus_forever

Distinguished
Dec 23, 2009
"And since my happiness grows with every Apple success, and the haters happiness declines, then I'm in for a few glorious years of joy while all you haters are in for years of misery.

Get over it - if your mood swings are based on whether a company does well (or not) then you are beyond pathetic."-ericburnby

can anyone see an embarrassing contradiction here?

Status
Not open for further replies.