UltraViolet Launched; Apple Streaming Movies Too?

Status
Not open for further replies.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
This article is confusing. Why mention Apple when the entire thing is about UltraViolet?

Screw Apple for movies anyway, they expect me to pay $15 for a mobile version of a movie! What a joke.

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
On another note the UltraViolet idea is pretty cool. As long as I WONT be expected to pay a hefty price for the UltraViolet version of a Bluray disc or DVD vs. the normal version.

I can just see them charging $40 or some inflated price because you get the digital version as well. If not, hey this is a cool idea!

shloader

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2001
Anyone remember DivX? You now... before it became a catchy name for a video codec. This format is going to flounder and die in the face of established streaming services. I realize this is a different approach where you supposedly own rather than rent but it has a similar feel.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
We do not want to buy physical media any more! Give us 1080+ resolution, uncompressed audio, let us pay for it online, and do not limit the devices we can watch it on.

If you insist then make us log in, or register devices, I do understand the anti-piracy need, just dont make it annoying or limiting. Also, we will not spend more than $20 for a movie.

igot1forya

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2008
[citation][nom]shloader[/nom]Anyone remember DivX? You now... before it became a catchy name for a video codec. This format is going to flounder and die in the face of established streaming services. I realize this is a different approach where you supposedly own rather than rent but it has a similar feel.[/citation]
Back in '99 when I worked at Circuit City those players were hard to sell to customers - so we cracked one open and found that you can pop out the CMOS battery and sure enough FREE rentals for life! They were much easier to sell to customers after found that out!

towergrove

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
[citation][nom]masterasia[/nom]Good idea, but I'll stick to Netflix and Redbox. I barely have time to watch movies any ways.[/citation]

This is for those of us who spend money purchasing films not those who rent. Streaming like Netflix is only there until the rights expire then the video is pulled. Not quite all you can eat like many say. I want to watch when, however and wherever I like. Besides Netflix is losing subscribers and investors they are now on a subscriber and growth decline.

towergrove

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
[citation][nom]Igot1forya[/nom]Back in '99 when I worked at Circuit City those players were hard to sell to customers - so we cracked one open and found that you can pop out the CMOS battery and sure enough FREE rentals for life! They were much easier to sell to customers after found that out![/citation]
Half of the income from video is still from physical media sales. This shows that many still do want physical media.

klavis

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2010
UltraViolet is dead in the water. The people who wanted to use it wanted the features such as adding previously bought movies and lifetime access. Not a select few new movies and one to three years access. This "format" is not an incentive.

javaskull

Distinguished
Apr 15, 2009
F**k that I either own it or do not. There is no rent. It's digital for gods sake. How many times can you watch the green lantern anyway? A**holes.

kirk200

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2011
We bought Horrible Bosses on Blu-Ray, thought we had a "normal" Digital Copy... and were VERY disappointed in the process, and the POOR quality on the UV digital copy. We don't ever plan to buy anymore UV digital copies. For people who "think" they might like this proposal - check out the video quality first - I guarantee you won't buy a 2nd one... stay away from UV as far as possible.

del35

Distinguished
May 22, 2009
Waoooo I am impressed. When did Apple invent movie streaming? The quality of the reception should benefit from a brushed aluminum case. What would we do without Apple's brilliance? Even after genius S. Jobs' death this company continues to innovate.

G

Man.... the major thing that this had going for it was the ability to scan in movies you already own, to unlock a digital copy. If that feature is no longer.... then this doesn't really stop people from "getting" the movie they already own some other way.

I have a huge 1000+ DVD library of movies, and I'll be damned if I'm going to buy them all again, after I already bought them to replace most of the old VHS I had. I was going to be a huge supporter of this, but now.... I guess I'll continue to just get digital copies of movies I already own, some "other" way. Dang it.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
I don't know about them, but DVD's I have last a lot longer then a year, setting that kind of limit does exactly what they don't want... Drive customers away.

Face it this isn't going to expand there customers beyond those that are already buying the DVDs in the first place. Who are they targeting? Any one with the capacity to rub two cents together will avoid this just because there are better options available. I know that backing up a DVD has no one three or any year limit, That's what they have to defeat, and out the door there already falling flat on there faces.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]del35[/nom]Waoooo I am impressed. When did Apple invent movie streaming? The quality of the reception should benefit from a brushed aluminum case. What would we do without Apple's brilliance? Even after genius S. Jobs' death this company continues to innovate.[/citation]
I actually spat my drink out
+1000 for being funny

everygamer

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2006
Until they offer digital rights for life to content we purchase this will not make me purchase new movies on DVD or Blue-ray. They still just don't get it. Look at music, buy, download, listen, no time limit and it is working in the market. Time to do the same with movies.

Status
Not open for further replies.