Unable to Install ANY antivirus

crystalized3219

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I'm running Win 7 ultimate 64bit and I was using BitDefender 2017 (free version) and it was woking fine until a few days ago. I got a an Action Center notification that my antivirus was turned off, so I tried turning it on from there, but nothing happened, so I clicked on the icon to open Bitdefender and the little "thinking" circle appears next to the pointer, then disappears and then nothing. No error message, no open program, just nada. I even checked for the process in task manager, but its not under the processes tab or applications. There is however 2 tasks on the applications tab that just say "client" and "running" but if I right click on either one and select 'go to process' again, nothing happens. So, I got rid of Bitdefender to try a different antivirus, but now none of them will install. I've tried AVG, Vipre, and Avast. Im able to download the installer, but when I click on "run"... NOTHING HAPPENS! I'm also unable to turn on Windows Defender and when I try to open System Restore (I'm starting to feel like a broken record) nothing happens. Can someone Please help?

Solution
If you have everything backed up, I'd agree that a system restore/upgrade is your best option in this case. (as you'll know with 100% certainty you have a clean system.)

Malware can not only try to prevent the installation of AV, it can also re-propagate itself in some cases, so a boot time scan is essential if you are trying to recover the system.

Avast, in fact, has a self-protection module that helps to prevent malware from shutting down our processes or closing the application!

crystalized3219

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Its REALLY hard not to give a smart a$s response right now, but I will try Super hard to be genuine... Yes, I have in fact restarted my computer at least 15 times since uninstalling the first antivirus. I've also used msconfig to do a clean boot. Have tried Safe Mode as well.

I had to ask. :) You would be surprised how many people don't try that first. It is up there with the trying to mess with the battery because your computer is turning on but the display isn't. You could try running one of the internet based antivirus programs. I know there are a few, to see if it can find any problems that might be the cause. Also, have you tried going back to a prior point (earlier system restore point) before the problem started?

crystalized3219

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I have tried to do system restore, but the program does not open. It acts the same as the antivirus programs- I click on 'run' and nothing happens. I am finally getting an error message when I try turning Windows Defender on now. It says "This program is blocked by group policy". As for trying an online scan, I will have to get back to you on that. I did find one that seemed to be working, but my electricity went out a few minutes ago and it was only half way done. If its not one thing, its another, right?!

crystalized3219

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
I'm not on a sub account. I've only got the one account and its definitely the admin account. Also, I've tried clicking on 'Run as Administrator' on all of the programs but got the same results each time.
I was finally able to complete an online scan. It was able to find and remove 24 threats, and after restarting, I tried installing Vipre, but still nothing. I'm also getting all sorts of banners and ads popping up when I use Chrome. There is one that literally says "I'm a pretty Banner. Click on me! ;)" Its all starting to get really annoying. I don't want to deal with the hassle of reinstalling my operating system, but I'm starting to consider it.

USAFRet

Illustrious
Quite often, a virus will prevent an install of an antivirus.

This needs to be eradicated from a boot device. Don't let the virus have a chance of starting up.

And if that still fails...then you either recover from a non-infected backup (you have this, right?), or you do a full wipe and reinstall.

crystalized3219

Prominent
Feb 1, 2018
Thankfully, I do have everything backed up!! And even though starting over is such a tedious project, I'm thinking now would be a good a time as any to upgrade to a bigger hard drive. Thanks for all your help

USAFRet

Illustrious

Now is a good time to upgrade to an SSD...:)

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
If you have everything backed up, I'd agree that a system restore/upgrade is your best option in this case. (as you'll know with 100% certainty you have a clean system.)

Malware can not only try to prevent the installation of AV, it can also re-propagate itself in some cases, so a boot time scan is essential if you are trying to recover the system.

Avast, in fact, has a self-protection module that helps to prevent malware from shutting down our processes or closing the application!

Solution