Unbelievable: 3.5 Million People Still Pay For AOL Dial-up

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
Dial up ? I don't recall the last time I heard of someone using that! We ditched the company RAS server many many moons ago as it wasn't being used ... everybody's got fiber now, or at least adsl.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
[citation][nom]zak_mckraken[/nom]3.4 millions are people who don't know they're still subscribing to a service they didn't use since '99.[/citation]
Could be true.

I actually think that it is likely that most of these people have no access to anything other than dial up. There is still a lot of the nation that is just not covered by broadband . Even in some areas that probably you would least expect .

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]legacy7955[/nom]There is still a lot of the nation that is just not covered by broadband . Even in some areas that probably you would least expect .[/citation]

I understand that economics play a role here and that it is not profitable for the broadband providers to stretch out to every capillary in the country...but its ridiculous nonetheless in 2011.

I would never choose to live somewhere there wasn't what I consider to be high-speed internet but perhaps many don't have the choice. Something should be done.

Apple Troll Master

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2011
Was on a clients pc the other day and they had Netscape and have never cleared their web cache. The oldest files dated back to 2005. They couldn't imagine that would slow things down...Derp!

halcyon

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2004
[citation][nom]Apple Troll Master[/nom]Was on a clients pc the other day and they had Netscape and have never cleared their web cache. The oldest files dated back to 2005. They couldn't imagine that would slow things down...Derp![/citation]
Did you wake that client and their PC out of cryogenic sleep?

G

I realized that my family was still paying for AOL on autopay.... about six years after we had made the switch to verizon dsl -.-"

nikorr

Distinguished
I realized that my family was still paying for AOL on autopay.... about six years after we had made the switch to verizon dsl -.-"
I paid for about a year, after we canceled the account.

They kept charging us, but than they refunded the money after few phone calls.

But we canceled and had a proof of that.

G

It's not always because of a lack of broadband access. I just convinced my parents to cancel our AOL subscription last year, and we've had DSL for 6 years now. In their case, they liked the idea of having AOL dialup as a backup when traveling, and they were worried that they would lose their @aol.com email addresses if they cancelled. I hooked them up with free dialup and verified that they could still use their email without paying for a subscription, and now we're $27/month lighter.

G

I have AOL dial-up. Because we have to. You think I want to wait two hours for a YouTube video to load? You think that’s MY choice? No. I'm sorry my family isn't going to pay a fortune to get a faster connection. It sucks. I hate when people act so bewildered as to why some people still have dial-up connection. I do not understand why people choose to have it, but that is THEIR choice. But I completely understand why people HAVE to use it. I just got an iPod Touch but I can't even set it up because you HAVE to have a broadband connection to download iTunes. And I also don't have Wi-Fi. So I have no idea what I'm going to do. I guess I will just have to wait until a fast internet connection comes down the road. God knows when that will be.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS