Uncheck Auto Detect - LAN Settings w/GPO

Status
Not open for further replies.

stumped-10

Distinguished
Dec 29, 2009
I need to create a Group Policy Object (GPO) that will un-check "automatically detect settings" in Internet Explorer versions 6-8>Internet Options> Connections>LAN settings.

I created a GPO (scope: Location - Test OU, Security Filtering - Test PC) and it is enforced and the link is enabled. I edited the GPO, User Configuration > Policies > Windows Settings > IE Maint > Connection> Connection Settings: Import the current connection settings from this machine. The only setting in the GPO is: “This GPO contains connection settings.” The PC I imported the settings from has the auto detect un-checked.

I conduct my test by first deleting the test profile from the test PC. Then I logon and start IE. The setting (auto detect settings) is enabled/checked.

TIA

Neocyberdude

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2011
I've been searching for a solution for this myself and finally got it working! I'm sharing in hopes that I can save someone hours of frustration.... It appears that the order in which you enable the policies makes a difference. No kidding. Here's what I finally ended up with in the GPO:
[fixed]User Configuration - Policies
-Windows Settings - Internet Explorer Maintenance (Preference Mode)
--Connection/Automatic Browser Configuration
---Automatically detect configuration settings - Disabled
---Automatic Browser Configuration - Not configured
--Connection/Connection Settings
---This GPO contains connection settings (copied connection settings that had the box unchecked)
-Administrative Templates
---Policy definitions (ADMX files) retrieved from the local machine
--Windows Components/Internet Explorer
---Disable changing Automatic Configuration settings - Enabled
---Disable changing proxy settings - Enabled[/fixed]
The trick was that I had to put in the Connection/Connection Settings first, then add the Connection/Automatic Browser Configuration. There was a warning that I'd be overriding some settings when I did that. I can't explain why it had to be done in that order, but that worked for me. I don't think you really need the proxy settings disabled, I just did that to keep people from messing it up.

zander1983

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2009
Thanks for the info.
I managed to get the box unchecked in Windows 7 via GPO from S2008 domain.

1. I configured the GPO as Neocyberdude
2. Checked the Win7 client pc and stupid box was ticked.
3. Opened policy again and found that Automatically detect configuration settings was enabled
4. Disabled the setting, saved policy and ran gpupdate /noforce
5. Checked Win7 client and box was unchecked
4. Disabled setting

Status
Not open for further replies.