Solved! Undervolting the T480s + Battery Issue while Laptop is shut down

dondiato

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Hey there,

I have been trying to undervolt my T480s but sometimes the settings just reset - especially when the laptop shuts itself down because of battery issues.

Lenovo ThinkPad T480s
i5-8350U
Win10 Pro
Intel HD 620
Webcam Standard 720p HD camera with ThinkShutter
16 GB DDR4 2133 Mhz
512 GB SSD
Non-touch 14" WQHD IPS Display

That's my model.

First of all, I would like to know which program to use for undervolting. Do you recommend XTU (Intel Extreme Tuning Utility) or Throttlestop?
It seems like I am fine with running -0.120 V (Core Voltage Offset) and -0.060 V (Processor Graphics Voltage Offset) but the settings reset sometimes after rebooting. Would it be any different with Throttlestop?

My second issue is regarding my battery. Even though I shut down my laptop completely, it keeps on draining battery. Lately, I didn't use it that much that's why I noticed the sudden change of percentage. Any idea why?

Thanks for any help!

Best,
DD

Solution

If you actually shut off the computer there should not be anything keeping the system running past the CMOS battery and the always active charging port if there is one (should be yellow color). You may be able to turn off that option in the BIOS for the charging USB ports. Some laptops have that port live so when system is off you will still get power from the port.

dondiato

Estimable
Jun 25, 2014
Well, the temperature changed a lot (I went from 40-45°C to 30-35°C idle) and everything else is the same. My battery should be fine. I just think that it's a setting that keeps the computer "awake" messes with the battery. Are there any power settings I should/could change?

If you actually shut off the computer there should not be anything keeping the system running past the CMOS battery and the always active charging port if there is one (should be yellow color). You may be able to turn off that option in the BIOS for the charging USB ports. Some laptops have that port live so when system is off you will still get power from the port.

Solution