Solved! Unequal ram in dimms

carl43m

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010
I have always been under the impression that RAM should be the same in each dimm(ie.2x2 for 4GB or 1x2fo 2GB). I have been looking at new laptops with the intelI5 or I7 processor and there is always an option to upgrade from 4GB to 6GB. The 6Gb would be a 4gb and a 2gb ram card. Will not having equal amounts of ram in each dimm negate the beneifit of the dual core or quad core processors?

Solution
No. Having different memory modules is only undesirable in high-performance scenarios and overclocked systems. Considering notebooks are generally neither and that memory speed really doesn't matter so much for performance, you'll be fine with mismatched modules. It won't have any affect on your CPU at all.

frozenlead

Distinguished
No. Having different memory modules is only undesirable in high-performance scenarios and overclocked systems. Considering notebooks are generally neither and that memory speed really doesn't matter so much for performance, you'll be fine with mismatched modules. It won't have any affect on your CPU at all.

Solution

carl43m

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2010

Thanks for the quick reply