Unhappy with laptop performance

deenomatt

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Hello everyone,

I recently bought an Acer Aspire V3 - 772G-9643 laptop (about 2 months ago) and I'm currently unhappy with its performance.
I use it to play games like CS:GO and Diablo III but I notice that after a while, my FPS just plummets. The laptop is really inconsistent - some days I will have no FPS issues and other days, it'll act up. I placed both games on low settings to maximize performance but I can still feel FPS lag after an hour or two of gaming. Also, when I run Diablo III, it says that my memory is low...I close all other programs and the alert still comes up. Is this a problem with the game or my laptop?

Am I demanding too much? Or is my laptop under performing? I feel like I shouldn't be having these issues : (

These are my specs:
Intel Core i7-4702MQ 2.2 GHz with Turbo Boost up to 3.2 GHz
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 760M|
8 GB DDR3 L Memory

Solution
Have you checked your temperatures? That could explain the gradual loss of performance. It really depends on the laptop, but thermals can be quite an issue on some systems.

Post some temperature data and we can probably help a bit.

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012
It sounds to me like it is throttling when your temperatures get too high (you said it does this after an hour or two of gaming). I would perform a good cleaning of the exhaust and air intake areas first and monitor the temperatures to see if that helps.

One other question is I assume you are staying plugged in and not running on the battery when you are having these issues? Another thing to do is make sure in your power settings you have high performance selected as another possibility would be your laptop is throttling when it thinks it needs to conserve battery life.

ArtificialApple

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
Have you checked your temperatures? That could explain the gradual loss of performance. It really depends on the laptop, but thermals can be quite an issue on some systems.

Post some temperature data and we can probably help a bit.

Solution

deenomatt

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013
Thanks for your replies!

@Tibbs01: Yes! I am plugged in when I am using my laptop for gaming. Thanks for the tip, I'll be sure to change it to high performance when I'm gaming.

@ArtificialApple: I haven't! How can I check? I'm assuming with a program? Is there a program you would suggest?

Thanks so much in advance.

ArtificialApple

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

You could try HWMonitor, SpeedFan, or aid64, but I haven't actually used the latter so I have no idea how well it works. It is usually a good idea to try a couple of programs because said programs can make mistakes.

After you do some diagnostics with a couple of these, post the results and I'm sure they will help us get you some answers.

deenomatt

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

So I downloaded HWMonitor and let it run while I played some games.
I then saved the results. I copied and pasted them into a pastebin:
http://pastebin.com/UTzFvGAY

ArtificialApple

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013

I'm assuming you played for the length of time that it usually takes to start seeing some performance loss? Did you see any while testing? Because it seems that your temperatures are a little high, but still in the normal range when under load. By no means system-melting though. That i7 is rated to 100 degrees and I don't believe that they throttle until the temps get up in the high 80s to 90s. The GPU could be a different story. Could be a memory issue, because of what you said about the memory errors. I'd wait for a few more people to look at the data just to make sure I'm not completely wrong on the matter.

Of course, there could be a sensor misread that skewed the data if this is indeed a thermal problem.

deenomatt

Honorable
Dec 27, 2013

Thanks for such a timely response. Hmmm. That report didn't involve me playing long enough to see performance loss. I haven't been able to find the time to do so. I'll put up a "true" report as soon as I get the chance to do so.

Here's another session where I played for a longer period of time but didn't really see as much performance loss as before.
http://pastebin.com/Ma7NTaUH

If this is a heat issue, what would the possible solution(s) be?
Thanks so much in advance.

ArtificialApple

Honorable
Nov 15, 2013
As Tibbs said, you can clean out the exhaust and intake vents and see if the improved airflow helps any. Of course, we haven't confirmed that this is a thermal issue yet, but it could still help.