Uniloc Sues Mojang, EA, Others Over Server Authentication

Status
Not open for further replies.

panders4

Distinguished
Oct 17, 2011
There are so many broad and generally useless patents issued that no matter what business you are in you are bound to be sued by a patent troll. It sickens me that software ideas can even be patented.

G

Now, the company's back at it again with a different patent. Patent 6,857,067 details a simple server authentication process via a smart card reader, which Uniloc claims Mojang is violating "[sic]by orthrough making, using, offering for sale, selling and/or importing Android basedapplications for use on cellular phones and/or tablet devices that require communication with aserver to perform a license check to prevent the unauthorized use of said application, including,but not limited to, Mindcraft." Yes, Mindcraft.

I just purchased Mindcraft and the new imagination upgrade. I'm pretty sure I'll be recreating Rome pretty soon.

mayne92

Distinguished
Nov 6, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]Mindcraft? I can forgive a typo, but three times in a row?[/citation]

[citation][nom]I Am Malkav[/nom]It's probably his spellchecker and a careless replace-all.[/citation]

You two apparently don't pay attention to detail huh?

razor512

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2007
new rule to reduce patent trolling, if you lose any patent case, the patent it's self is nullified and anyone can then infringe upon it with no problem.

add more risk to the patent trolling, If you lose then you lose the patent.

and if needed, also add personal risk. If you patent troll and lose, you get arrested for filing a false report (patent system is a law system which is why lawsuit can work) and an unsuccessful case means a false report of patent infringement, so punish all those involved the same way you would punish people for doing things like swatting (prank calls to get the police to send a swat team to someones home)

and do like a 3 strike policy where if they have 3 failed cases then they all of their assets will be given to the defendants in the 3 failed cases and the owners of the patent trolling company will be arrested for patent trolling. (this will make it so that a patent case will only happen for exact patents and none of the vague crap (eg suing a company because you have a patent for sending any form of data over a copper wire (where the idea is patented meaning they follow the patent troll system where you take something that is being done now (eg if it was when electricity was was just discovered and the method for time delayed communications was written text, then you would patent sending the information over a wire and not describe how)

anyway most of these issues will be solved if they made it more risky to start a patent case.
if you have actual proper evidence of a patent infringement then you have nothing to worry about.

A Bad Day

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2011
[citation][nom]mayne92[/nom]"Mindcraft." Yes, Mindcraft."Pathetic. Uniloc just proved that not only are they morons but their three lawyers are too.[/citation]

I looked up "Mindcraft" in Google, and it didn't show up.

freggo

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2008
[citation][nom]RADIO_ACTIVE[/nom]Well alot of these companies are screwing us, is it weird I think that they deserve it lol[/citation]

"They deserve it" ?
Keep in mind that any settlement amounts are simply passed on to the consumer of their respective products. You and I are paying for their lawyer's new Ferrari !

opmopadop

Distinguished
Apr 12, 2009
[citation][nom]A Bad Day[/nom]I looked up "Mindcraft" in Google, and it didn't show up.[/citation]
Click on the link that the author of this article was good enough to include for you.

matt_b

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Patent reform:

1) Any and all companies involved in a history of patent bullying and found guilty, shall further cease and desist from any further lawsuits from a universal court order. Punishment for said company may also include reparations of up to the maximum court settlement amounts from settled cases of previously-sued companies to be back-payed (scare tactic).
2) Any company filing lawsuit without an actual physical product on the marketplace being actively produced and sold (paper patent trolls) shall have no grounds for litigation.

Done, that ought to wipe out half of the nonsense.

G

They have no right to sue mojang and other complanies. I mean, who has ever heard of this obsurd company name 'Uniloc'. As in the words of Optimus Prime, 'One shall stand. One shall fall.' The one that will be falling will be 'Uniloc' as mojang has millions of fans behinds its back. And what gives Uniloc to sue other companies?

Status
Not open for further replies.