Unknown program shuts down antivirus

May 10, 2018
I have an unknown program that terminates my antivirus software. A message comes up every now and again that a program wants to terminate Avast and asks permission. If you click no there is no issue. If you leave the box unanswered it terminates the program automatically within five minutes, so if you are not there to see the pop up your antivirus terminates. I have run the antivirus; nothing. I have switched antivirus programs; same issue. I have checked for malware, adware etc. and searched for unfamiliar programs but no luck. I have run cc scanner, and a registry cleaner but still no luck any other suggestions?

Avast-Team

Estimable
Mar 3, 2017
Have you looked through your Programs via Control Panel? See anything unusual in there that you don't recognize or never installed? You may also want to check yoru running processes (through Task Manager for example) which may give you a clue as to what's happening.

Also, Avast is specifically designed to protect you against programs that do this, do you have the Avast Self-Defense module and Anti-Exploit enabled? (they should be enabled by default -- check Settings -> Troubleshooting to verify)

May 10, 2018

Hi, thanks for the suggestions but it was no good. All of the programs as viewed from Control Panel are expected, although I did delete a few I wasn't using. I also tried the Task Manager route as well as reviewing the hkey local software route. There I found some I wasn't using (reminents?) but even after deleting them the problem persists. Now the system won't allow me to reboot into safe mode as it hangs. The only way to fix it is a restart and restore that does not involve safe mode.

As for Avast, it has both the anti-exploit and self defence modules active. All I get is a flash message saying "An unknown program is trying to shut down Avast allow yes/no. But it now gives you no time to respond.