Unlock AMD AM3 4th core

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

asher_pa

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
BTW In other sites I saw that the core speed show somthing around 3917mhz....
Why in my case I see only 800 or in your case only 1000mhz...?

And one last thing;
For now i'm using the stock cooler ... - should I upgrade to another cooler?

Thanks

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009
CnQ low power profile drops the CPU multiplier to x4.0. Since these are chips with locked multipliers, you are using the FSB to OC, thus, if you have a FSB of 250, you CnQ low power mode will drop you to 1000, as opposed to the 800 at stock speeds.

A good aftermarket air cooler is needed if you want to OC heavily, but the stock cooler will do for more mild applications.

asher_pa

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
Thanks.

1. "if you have a FSB of 250" - who is decide what will be the FSB
2. can I change the FSB ?
3. Is it recommended to change the FSB?
4. When it's start to be dangerous to the CPU?
5. Does arctic Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 Will be OK?
6. Is there any other change that i need to do except of disabling the CnQ? (install software \ another bios change?)

Thanks Alot.
Asher.

asher_pa

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2010
One more Q.
When i Disabled the cnQ my HDD freaked out and start knocking his head...
What is wrong? is it the PSU (I'm using DH-153B)
Thanks

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

1. You set your FSB in your bios. It is known by other names, but it's stock value will be 200.
2. Yes, if you wish, since FSB*CPU multiplier = CPU frequency, and it is a locked multiplier (meaning it doesn't go any higher than stock level) the only way to OC this chip is through the FSB.
3. As mentioned, it is the only way to OC multiplier-locked chips, so as far as any OC can be recommended thus too is OCing through the FSB.
4. Know your thermal limits. research your chip and know how hot it can get before damage occurs, also know the max recommended voltages (as voltages at some point will need to be raised to stabilize your overclcok) Test your overclock settings for heat and stability with programs like Prime95 or Intel Burn Test.
5. That is a sufficient HSF for moderate overclocking.
6. Yes, but that is a really big question with no easy answer. You need to better understand the relationship your BIOS settings have to each other, and final performance. I don't have the time, but the internet is a really big place with lots of resources. BTW, you don't NEED to disable CnQ until you are hitting really high clock speeds. I have successfully run CnQ up to 3.9ghz without stability issues (simple does nothing at 4.0ghz), but with big power savings during idle or lowload conditions. How well CnQ will run on your chip and motherboard is up to you to find out, as its conditions are based on multiplier, voltages, and FSB, and it is hard to predict how well it will act without firsthand experience.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

I have never personally encountered what you are describing, sorry, I don't know what else to tell you.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Word is, it will only go to OEM manufacturers now, not available for purchase on their own.

isamuelson

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2008

There is only one L3 cache which is shared across all the cores. Unlocking a core does not unlock another L3 since there is no other L3 to unlock.

JofaMang

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2009

Some VERY earlier athlon II triples and quads were actually Phenom II chips with the L3 cache disabled. Those were only in the early days of the chip, and the odds of finding one now are very slim. That said, even if it is a phenom II chip with disabled L3 Cache, there isn't much hope for unlocking it, as often it will show up in CPU-Z, but not actually be functional. In other words, its pointless.

Status
Not open for further replies.