Status
Not open for further replies.

decode

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2009
Ok, I'm going to go with the assumption that 465's are just 470's with certain parts damaged beyond a certain threshold so they underclocked etc them to 465 stats and sell them for cheaper instead of taking a total loss, this being said not all will be able to be upgraded to 470's so it's pretty much a pick and see what you get kind of card.

If I'm wrong someone please correct me, But If I'm not, I'm going to say that theres a chance that the MSi card shown may by able to be unlocked, and a chance that it won't be, stably.

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
I don't think so

all SLI motherboards are nothing but motherboards that payed Nvidia money so they can be SLI 'certified'

you can pick the Asus Crosshair IV Formula, install a simple patch, and boom, you have a AM3 motherboard with SLI

You can also download a driver that was released by Nvidia, and use your Nvidia card as PhysX card, even though you use the ATI Radeon 5850.

So a lot of things are nothing else than protocols, software, encryption...

the AMD Radeon 4890 runs at 900 Mhz, but they released the card at 800 Mhz, just because they wanted the card to 'overclock like crazy' in the reviews.

So you really buy a 900Mhz card downclocked to 800Mhz for marketing purposes.

So, I wouldn't be surprised if the GTX 465 are just GTX 470 cards with software locks

rafarataneneces

Distinguished
Dec 16, 2009
Yeah, that's about right

The way I see it, since doing that voids the warranty, the figure out not a lot of people are going to do that.

Now, the main problem is that some GTX 465 have 8 memory modules, some have 10

I have no idea which GTX 465 cards can be unlocked, so that's the main question I'm asking here

nforce4max

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2009
If the card has the same # of modules then I think it can be unlocked with a bios flash but you must match the old clocks and edit the new bios to match the timings that of the old bios when it comes to the vram which means manually typing but beyond that you are unlikely to have a successful flash.

As for the sli hack hi five I am using it now on my older 790x sb600 board with two 9800gt 1gb editions. Its a shame that my older 8250e tri core can't really keep up.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
The MSI Twin Frozr II "Golden Edition" has 10 RAM chips and the same PCB as a GTX 470. Almost all of them will unlock (it has a very high success rate). There is a huge thread devoted to this card at Overclock.net with resources in the first post on how to go about doing it:

http://www.overclock.net/nvidia/789983-msi-gtx465-twin-frozr-ii-golden.html

He's a video posted by a guy who works at NCIX in Canada about unlocking the card:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bmF0yQfn_Og

I bought one and it was a fairly easy process using Nvflash in XP. One caveat, the aluminum HSF standard model has only 8 memory chips and will not unlock.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008

You're basically getting a solid copper HSF that is much better than the reference ones on the GTX 470s @ $280 you speak of.

Timop

Distinguished
Feb 27, 2010

But you lose warranty, and unlock rates aren't 100%.
The microcenter for $280 is worth the risk though, not the $310 newegg ones.

jeffredo

Distinguished
Nov 15, 2008
You don't need to lose the warranty. Flash it back to a GTX 465 if its just artifacting and needs to be return. Takes about five minutes. Even if its black screen dead you can flash it back using a cheap PCI video card. Unlock rates are very, very high (check the graph on the Overclock.net link I provided). No, its not 100%.

A card like that is more of a "hobby" thing and thats part of the fun of owning it. If you have no interest in tinkering, by all means get a GTX 470.

Status
Not open for further replies.