Unlock legacy software locks

Status
Not open for further replies.

cantankerous9

Honorable
May 22, 2012
Good Day,
I am looking for a reference to a program that will unlock some legacy software. It is software that I have purchased and updated since 1997. So I have several versions. The issue I a, currently having is that the hard drive on a legacy system running Windows 98 is going out. I already have an exact duplicate hard drive. Yet every time I install the software, it needs a software key that is sent to the software developer. And that software developer is no longer in business. The 'new' owners of the software which I have a current license to, will not contact the old software developer for an unlock code. And unfortunately, the old software running on the legacy system is much much better than the new software. And I use 98% of the time over the new software. So, I need to reinstall the Windows 98SE Software on a new hard drive, but need to unlock it to use it. Sorry for being so long winded, but have tried several alternatives to perform this function. The original software used a hardware lock attached to the computer. With the Windows 98SE version though, as I indicated, I had to supply a fax request to the developer to receive an unlock code. Please help before my hard drive totally fails and. Thank You

Solution
The key may be in the registry or in some cases of old software in the actual directory. It may also be in the menu for instance under "about" or "help" in rare cases. Basically Google where its stored for that software.

Otherwise you can try and clone the failing drive to the new one which would leave the software and license intact.

We're not going to help you crack proprietary software though and if you're still on windows 98 it may be time to just deal with the new software and move on.

unksol

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
The key may be in the registry or in some cases of old software in the actual directory. It may also be in the menu for instance under "about" or "help" in rare cases. Basically Google where its stored for that software.

Otherwise you can try and clone the failing drive to the new one which would leave the software and license intact.

We're not going to help you crack proprietary software though and if you're still on windows 98 it may be time to just deal with the new software and move on.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.