unlock port for serving games

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
how do I unlock my D-Link DL-704P so I can serve games and upload files through msnger? I tried getting to D-Link but they discontinued the router and they don't want to help me out :(
ps there is no manual! ARGH!
In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PapaSmurf on 03/01/03 06:51 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
nope didnt work :(

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
I have a di-704p, and you just have to go in your browser and go to 192.168.0.1. If it asks for a password, the default is "admin"

In ancient times they had no statistics so they had to fall back on lies

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
hey it worked that time!
ok what do I have to do to be able to serve some games?! I want to be able to serve battlefield 1942 specifically which port do I unlock and how do I do that through the 192.168.0.1. interface?

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by PapaSmurf on 03/02/03 10:46 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
The ports you must forward depend greatly on the game, so you should look in the documentation of the game and on the net. If you cannot find any information you can try starting a game server and then sniffing your machine, it will tell you which ports are opened by the game(only forward those needed for the game).

To forward a port go to the advanced tab -> Virtual server. Then specify the port you want to open and the IP of the machine that runs the server.

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
I don't know if this will help at all but I use a LinkSys 4port router. It comes with a DMZ host feature that I can set one computer to be completely open to the Net when I need to. If the D-Link has the same feature then use it and turn it off or set it to an un-used IP. Otherwise you'll need to find out what ports the game used from whoever makes the game and forward the ports to that machine.

I personally don't like port forwarding because all incoming traffic on that port gets sent to the address it's forwarded to. (at least for my linky) This makes the port un-usable for other computers. This may not be a problem in your case but something to be aware of just in case.

GK

P.S. I think it's a DI and not a DL, and I was able to find a manual for download in DLINK's support area. or try thier FTP site at ftp://ftp.dlink.com/Gateway/di704p/<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by ghostkat on 03/04/03 08:19 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

papasmurf

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2002
after forwarding the correct port I can still not serve games. I may end up buying a new router.

In battle Israel uses F-16's and big ass tanks, Palestine uses small children strapped to bombs. Which do you support?

GhostKat

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2002
try the DMZ capablities. I think it's in the Advanced section under misc.

GK

Don't mind me I'm just posting so it doesn't say I'm a newb.

Unolocogringo

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Do you have a firewall in your modem? I have a Speedstream 5600 with somewhat of a built in firewall. and a router with a built in firewall. You can not forward ports through two devices. It somehow dosen't work.

There are also ports ,besides the specific game ports , that need to be forwarded for Direct Play games.

The DMZ option mentioned above is a good option. Open your brouser set your IP and game . Then turn it back off afterwards. DMZ completely dissables the routers firewall for that IP adress.

No need to swap routers if the same problem will exist with the new one.

More info needed.

I aint signing nothing!!!

goloap

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2001
Some application need to listen on a port, try under advanced tab, applications. There a couple of special applications listed there, use the one you may need.

DMZ is good but it opens a lot more port that you actually need, so it's better to open just the port you need. But if it does not work, go with DMZ.