Unlocked iPhone 4S Will Only Work on GSM Carriers

Status
Not open for further replies.

soccerdocks

Distinguished
May 24, 2011
Is there any legitimate technical issue that prevents the unlocked phones from working on Verizon and Sprint? Or is apple just being a dbag?

kellogg87

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2011
[citation][nom]soccerdocks[/nom]Is there any legitimate technical issue that prevents the unlocked phones from working on Verizon and Sprint? Or is apple just being a dbag?[/citation]

From what I understand, using CDMA isn't as simple as GSM in that you can't just switch networks by changing the sim card.

I'm thinking of getting a 4S, and if I did I would definitely get the unlocked version. For how often I use a cell phone, any of the contracts would end up costing much more after two years than just buying the phone and getting a pay-as-you-go plan.

G

@soccerdocs: GSM vs. CDMA. Different systems. GSM was designed from the beginning for interoperability. Not so CDMA.

Funny, I can set which GSM bands are used on my G1 and G2...hard to believe the 4S lacks that capability.

G

The "excessive prices" are the *real* prices for the iPhone; normally, the up-front cost is subsidized by your two-year contract with the carrier.

It is *totally reasonable* for these prices to be in par with an iPad, IMO. Miniaturization is expensive, and the iPhone is a computer that fits in your *pocket*.

G

Apple is just being a dbag. Another example of wonderful, free, market driven capitalism. So much for the Beatles, hippies and real freedom.

G

I was going to get one..
However, between the 200 dollar difference, CDMA restrictions and 1 month delay, and the fact that I have an unlocked 3Gs already, I decided to go with the locked version.

G

@NoSoapRadio Both chipsets are in the phone. Apple is just bowing to att demands. The best deal would be to be able to use it domestically on verizon or sprint or whoever you want, and then with whoever you want while travelling too. Their new restrictions make me hate them. Isn't capitalism wonderful. I think att should be broken up into ten companies.

G

GSM phones are used in most parts of the world, where many people own their own unlocked phones and change service providers at will. GSM phones store information on removable SIM cards, which are interchangeable with other GSM phones. AT&T and T-Mobile operate on GSM networks. A GSM phone must be unlocked in order to switch SIM cards between different service providers. The phone can be purchased unlocked, but if it is locked to a specific provider, it can be unlocked by entering the correct code. The iphone usually sold by Apple is a GSM phone locked to AT&T service, which is typical practice when purchasing a phone directly from a service provider.. Service providers like Verizon, Sprint etc operate on the CDMA network. It is standard practice for CDMA service providers to sell phones directly to their customers, and those phones are locked to that provider and typically cannot be interchanged between providers.

amk-aka-Phantom

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2011
[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]Nexus Prime ftw. The Iphone has ran its course its done.[/citation]

SGS 2 might be better than Nexus Prime... the latter is not released yet

[citation][nom]soldier37[/nom]then you have a sub par system, my graphics card and power supply cost that alone.[/citation]

Will you already STFU about your system? I could also drop $4000 on my PC, but $1500 was enough to max out all my games. I love PC gaming, but there's no point in an overkill system like yours (although I've seen some pics of your setup and I like the looks of it) and even LESS point in boasting about it.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
I don't get this whole micro-SIM thing... is a regular SIM outdated? AFAIK, in a whole bunch of countries one can easily get a SIM card, not so easily micro-SIM, unless you are willing to do some cutting yourself. Then good luck fitting that in another phone...

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]WhysoBluepandabear[/nom]Because when activating the phone on Sprint & Verizon, we have to scan the Hex/Dec codes unique to that phone. Sprint & Verizon also don't deal with a lot of issues that arise from unlocked phones -- such as if the phone is stolen, Sprint & Verizon can brick the phone forever, making it useless and never again being able to activate. GSM phones that are unlocked can simply have a new SIM card inserted, and there you go - activated phone. Sprint & Verizon also don't have to worry about people signing a 2 year contract, getting the phone for discount, and then running away with the phone for the discounted price - they ever attempt to screw either of us over, we brick there phone, making it useless. Sprint & Verizon only do phones that are locked to their specific carrier.[/citation]

You might be wrong on the unlock thing. I remember that there where a couple of phone companies over seas that would lock the phone, and brick it if stolen. In this case the equipment protection came from the store you bought the device at.

The phone I have now can be tracked from the manufacturers web sight, and from there I can lock it, format it, or ring it.

Status
Not open for further replies.