Unlocking amd 960t thuban chip.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011
hi again. i just have a few question. i unlock a amd athlon 2 x3 450 to four cores with ga -970a-ud3. but when i try to unlock the amd 960t window will not start after the 1 st start up. i have to reboot it again to make window start up. when i check to see if i had 6 core in cpu-z, i only saw four cores. so i check bios, it show the board still being unlock and i can start the pc up every time now and it would run with the board being cores unlock mode. what am i doing wrong? are there some setting that i am missing.

Solution
Hi Smiley12, congrats on being a 960T owner, they're marvellous wee chips.

Whilst I presume you have done all of the below, I will make sure:
You have slightly upped your CPU voltage (1 increment EVER AT A TIME) slightly and it's still not stable?
Have you tried unlocking core 4 and 5 seperatly?

From the looks of things it may appear as though you have 2 faulty cores, hence why AMD made it a ZOSMA and locked it to the 4x core.

But hey, don't fret, whack a cooler on that puppy and watch him fly.

The stock cooler is well.. cr@p, and by replacing it and with a wee bit of tweakage you should be able to hit 4GHZ, but don't forget about your Northbridge!

Something that I consider 'safe' especially for a 960 would be:

FSB 200
CPU...

Wisecracker

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2007
With the 9xx chipsets, many 'ACC' options were removed. I am not familiar with other tweaking that may be available to you in the current BIOS of that motherboard.

But if you have the DualBIOS, you should verify for stability that the backup BIOS version is the same as the Main version.

That could impact unlocking on the Zosma.

smiley12

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2011

you where right the back up bios was not the same . i reset it to be the same. maybe the 960t i have cant be unlock. but it make for a good OC

geotek

Distinguished
May 25, 2011
I have 3 of them, and one was unlockable, all are OC'd a bit. It's a phenomenal processor, a lot of people dont realize its only 95w tdp, and it produces significantly less heat than other phenom II processors, especially the popular 955.

teh_gerbil

Honorable
Apr 9, 2012
Hi Smiley12, congrats on being a 960T owner, they're marvellous wee chips.

Whilst I presume you have done all of the below, I will make sure:
You have slightly upped your CPU voltage (1 increment EVER AT A TIME) slightly and it's still not stable?
Have you tried unlocking core 4 and 5 seperatly?

From the looks of things it may appear as though you have 2 faulty cores, hence why AMD made it a ZOSMA and locked it to the 4x core.

But hey, don't fret, whack a cooler on that puppy and watch him fly.

The stock cooler is well.. cr@p, and by replacing it and with a wee bit of tweakage you should be able to hit 4GHZ, but don't forget about your Northbridge!

Something that I consider 'safe' especially for a 960 would be:

FSB 200
CPU muliplier - 18 for now (3.6ghz)
North bridge multiplier to 12 (2.4ghz)

prime95 that for a while and work your way up from there. Always remember baby steps, and only change 1 thing at a time, slowly working your way upwards.

Solution