Unlocking/Rooting Samsung Galaxy S5 (Verizon)

Status
Not open for further replies.

halfmanhalfbearpig

Commendable
Nov 20, 2016
Hello all,

I wanted to root my Galaxy S5. Are there any root solutions for the most recent patch? I've done some research on this topic, some say there are one-click APKs, and some say that you have to downgrade the kernel, install the rom, and then upgrade the kernel to current.

Has anyone done this as of recent (this year)? What is the best tool to root with? How do I downgrade the kernel if I need to?

Solution
Unlocking and rooting are different procedures. I use KingoRoot which is a Windows executable file so you run the process from a PC with the phone connected by USB to micro USB cable.

Make sure you get the right one - Kingroot is a different utility I wouldn't recommend.
Unlocking and rooting are different procedures. I use KingoRoot which is a Windows executable file so you run the process from a PC with the phone connected by USB to micro USB cable.

Make sure you get the right one - Kingroot is a different utility I wouldn't recommend.

Solution

t_house

Prominent
Mar 8, 2017
Do NOT use one click rooting programs like KingRoot or KingoRoot. They are garbage and load files on your phone that have been shown to send your personal information to others and possibly provide remote access to your phone. Go to XDA for the proper information pertaining to anything and everything for an S5 from any carrier. I have a Verizon S5 as my daily driver. It is rooted, has an unlocked bootloader, and runs Lineage OS 14.1 (formerly CyanogenMod) which is Android 7.1.1 Nougat. If you don't know what your doing with your phone, either read and learn or don't mess with your phone. Don't ask for someone to hold your hand though the process of doing what you think you want to do. There are many step by step guides.

When you know a lot more than you think you do now, you will find Kingo Root (note the O in Kingo and don't be confused with another less reliable product) you will be able to see that the highly regarded www.XDA-Developers.com starts by offering it's sponsors' products before any others.

If you look far enough in their site, you will find this report:-

[ROOT] Kingo Android Root Method 491 posts, 10/7/2013AT&T Samsung Galaxy S 4 General- Kingo Android Root is a well-designed, aesthetically pleasing application for Windows based computers that forgoes the device specific route, and offers rooting for a lot of Android devices from a variety of manufacturers. Supported phones include the likes of Google Nexus lineup, several HTC devices including HTC One, One

I have personally rooted over a hundred Android devices with that product, including about five of my own and none of them has come back to me with any faults.

To date, all your posts are in threads which are old enough to ignore - the most recent is two months out of date - so in future, post into into threads where the latest post is no older than two weeks. I'm removing all the others but will let your reply in this one stand but I'm closing the thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.