Solved! Unstable FPS in most games

Feb 5, 2019
Hi,
So for a while now, I've been getting some pretty unstable FPS in most of the games I'm playing. At one point, it wasn't frustrating and was manageable, but now it's gotten a bit worse. I get around 60 FPS at one point, then all of a sudden it would drop down to 15 FPS for a little bit before going back up to 60. I've tried overclocking, but I don't think it helped at all. This would happen in games like Fortnite, Destiny 2, CS:GO (before it was fine, but not anymore) and so on. My graphics settings for most of the games I play are on relatively low settings, and I play while plugged into my laptop. Also, before you ask, capping my FPS does help, but I just prefer to have constant 60 if possible. It could be that I'm playing on a laptop and it is overheating, and if that's the case then how should I solve this problem?

My Specs:
Intel i5-7200U @ 2.50GHz
16GB RAM
NVIDIA GeForce 940MX + Intel HD Graphics 620
Windows 10

Solution
Bumping a thread will often get you into trouble. Just so you know. Since the forum was moving over to this new format it is likely your thread just got missed. Eventually someone would see it though.

That said... first you need to find out if it is indeed overheating or not. There is lots of monitoring software out there, some will and some won't work with your laptop. So I would try installing some and monitoring the temps to see what kind you are getting.

If you do indeed have an overheating GPU then the only fix is to get the temps down before the GPU gets fried. This could involve making sure the vents have good airflow where ever you are using the laptop, cleaning out the interior (of dust, debris, unblocking vents, etc.)...
Feb 5, 2019
Bump. Really want this problem to be solved.
Also, I have figured out the problem: it seems that my GPU is underclocking itself after playing for a few minutes, and I believe it's because of my laptop overheating. Any way to solve this at all?

Bumping a thread will often get you into trouble. Just so you know. Since the forum was moving over to this new format it is likely your thread just got missed. Eventually someone would see it though.

That said... first you need to find out if it is indeed overheating or not. There is lots of monitoring software out there, some will and some won't work with your laptop. So I would try installing some and monitoring the temps to see what kind you are getting.

If you do indeed have an overheating GPU then the only fix is to get the temps down before the GPU gets fried. This could involve making sure the vents have good airflow where ever you are using the laptop, cleaning out the interior (of dust, debris, unblocking vents, etc.), repasting (if possible), replacing a fan that isn't working properly, or even all of the above.

NOTE: If the laptop is under warranty, do not open it up and do this all yourself. Contact the manufacturer.

Solution