Unwanted factory reset

lowrider4898

Prominent
Dec 3, 2017
Hi, I'm trying to figure out why when I restart my HP laptop it goes into a factory reset. When I looked around and everything was gone.
I did a system restore and got it back to yesterday's settings and everything is in their folders. Then I pulled the plug out (battery not able to charge, obviously). When I restarted it again, right back to seeing HI on my screen. I'm again doing a system restore and will wait to hear what the problem might be.
Thanks in advance

Solution
Are you doing a correct shutdown or are you just unplugging it to turn it off? You have a backup of your files right? If not, do that first.

Then do a disk scan on the drive to check it for errors using a utility from the vendor of the drive. Some laptop models have a disk check you can run from the BIOS or their own hardware check utility.
Are you doing a correct shutdown or are you just unplugging it to turn it off? You have a backup of your files right? If not, do that first.

Then do a disk scan on the drive to check it for errors using a utility from the vendor of the drive. Some laptop models have a disk check you can run from the BIOS or their own hardware check utility.

Solution