Update more Leopard Problems Plague Apple

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Leopard is a mess. I experience application crashes on a daily basis (Safari is the worst). There is a serious lag time between when I wake my Powerbook from sleep and when it's actually ready. Adobe InDesign CS2 and Leopard are like oil and water. It's terrible. I'm almost tempted to backup and clean install back to Tiger. Fortunately, I have yet to experience the blue screen of death. If you ask me, Apple has set itself up for another class-action lawsuit. Mr. Jobs, WHAT WERE YOU THINKING?

G

I'm with over 20 Macs (mixed PPCs and Intel machines) in the same network that were upgraded and fortunately I'm yet to see or hear any complaints about Leopard, however I do remember to read a note from Adobe advising users about potential problems with some of their software.
Is this problems really affecting all Leopards or is this article overrating this issues?

G

This article WAY overstates the problems. There may be dramatic problems for individuals. But for myself and the vast majority of those in my circle, the upgrade has been smooth and the new features are fabulous!

G

the thread labeled "Is it me or is leopard just a mess?" has been taken down. great job apple.

G

"The days of Apple computers operating with just the Mac OS and Adobe Photoshop installed"

I like this... Maybe they should forget about computers and operating systems on focus more on the toy section: iPhone,iPod, iWhatever... it looks like they are good at this.

G

Apple Mac users are really dumb. They should use Windows as it runs all software. What dummies!

G

This article overstates the issue. I know quite a few people with a variety of hardware that have had no issues at all. I love the comments from ignorant users like Gdansk who typically make them having not ever seen or used Leopard at all.

G

What about Apple's already existing "Grey Screen of Death?"
In my opinion, Apple has never had a realistic operating system for business. I agree with the "Mac with photoshop" statement, and that that's anything the real world.

In my creative enviroment of 120 users, we utilize home folder synchronization, and netboot (with two different images due to the two platforms). I've been a Mac Admin for 10 years, and while I'm happy that Apple finally came around to true multi-user operating systems with possible enterprise capability, they have MUCH to learn as far as stability and realistic management.
I'm saying this after visits from many, many Apple Engineer visits to our environment, which most cannot afford. We continue to have synchronization issues, grey screens (kernel panics) that return no errors in the crash log.

And the hardware, a few DOAs in every shipment. And the fix? "Take it to the Apple Store!"

Ok, rant over.

G

Ha! Ha!...
And right after they put out the 'I'm a Mac and I'm a PC' commercial where they touted their new OS while talking about how many problems people were having w/ Vista. Macs and PCs are the same thing... Computer with Operating Systems and Software on them. They're all gonna have problems, I just can't stnd Mac snobs who constantly tout their overpriced boxes as "superior". I've worked on Macs for about 4 years now, and used them in school another 3 years before that, while using PCs at home. To put it simply. Macs suck in some respects, but Apple has no intrest in fixing that, since that would mean admitting that the OS isn't perfect. Same things happened when Tiger came out.

BTW, anyone notice that Apple has removed the forum posts the article links to? Apparently, they won't admit bad press... Just like Microsoft.

G

If this is what you call a complete mess in the apple world, I'm now even more glad I switched.

G

WOW
YOU SUCK!
I <3 Apple computers, i bought Leopard less than one minute after it was released, and i LOVE it, i, nor anybody else i have ever heard of have had any of these problems, this article is bs.

G

Tom's Hardware is notoriously un-biased, so I seriously doubt that this article is BS. Begrudgingly and due to a non-scaling G5 processor, the Mac has been forced out of a closed, proprietary system to a more open one. With this comes the issues that supposedly plague Vista (none of which I have experienced) and every MS OS in the past: badly written drivers and coorespondingly incompatible hardware and software. It is really easy to make everything work great when Mac had oversight on everything except the most trivial programs/hardware in it's fruity little ecosystem. Looks like Macs are going to have to grow up if they want to open up.

G

looking the pixelations through the article, it almost looks like the unit had been dropped at some point and destroyed the monitor..

i'm surprised the unit itself booted into the mac OS at all..

G

Actually I dont think the issues are overstated. I have issues on my MBP. Nasty problems like Wireless not working correctly. Tiger was MUCH better IMO. My machine gets friggin hot when doing things like browsing the net and such. Fanboi need to stfu and take a cold hard look at reality. Apple is becoming more and more like Dell and MS. Customer service issues (Dell) And pretty flashy software with poor functionality (MS). This latest generation of products has demonstrated this more and more. They still have a chance to turn this around. Hopefully it is not just about the profits but about the Customer. If they can turn it around....kudos. If not then It will open the door for the smaller shops to start working on building Linux machines with similar and potentially more stablilty at this point(Linux has issues of it's own that can be resolved with some vendor support)

Vista...well its Hasta La Vista. Leopard, It Just Sucks. I have been seriously considering installing Ubuntu on my MBP despite the work it would take to set it up.

G

Hurry up, noble MacFags! Page 4 is almost free of white knighting for your ridiculous dead-end computer of choice!

G

The blue screen thing was caused by people that used a very specific piece of software (that works in a way that has always been discouraged by Apple) in tiger and then upgraded to Leopard. This is always a risky move. If you're using software that modifies the system at a kernel level and then upgrade to a new kernel it is likely to cause issues.

I'm not saying that Leopard is perfect, but the issues raised here are things that most people are never going to run into. The data loss issue requires that you hold down modifier keys when moving a file between volumes. The normal user doesn't even know that these modifier keys exist and is never going to be effected! The default drag/drop from volume to volume does a copy, not a move and there is no chance of data loss.

I work in a tech support center and the one issue that I have seen over and over again that actually effects end-users is the JPEG bug that causes the finder to crash when attempting to preview JPEGs with certain types of exif metadata associated with them. This is the type of issue that Apple should be spending their time on first.

G

My family has 5 Macs. My parents (my father is 75) had Apple install Leopard on his Intel iMac. His Brother printer stopped working. Apple couldn't fix it on the phone. He brought the iMac and the printer into the Apple Store. After working on it for a long time, they told him that they could not get it to work and that he needed to buy a new printer. They advertise that "Leopard Just Works." If they don't refund his money, I am going to contact the State Attorney General and Department of Consumer Affairs. Apple appears to have a very serious false advertising problem at the moment.

G

Leopard is the next best thing since... Tiger, and I'm loving it! Rock solid here.

The only issues I'm having are the same issues from Adobe's crap-ware since CS2. Not an X issue.

Tony is still obviously pissed he didn't research a tiny bit beyond his PC, wait a week, and get his free upgrade to Leopard. It's kind of funny actually, and even more-so seeing that the "ultimate" version of Leopard is only $129. ROLF.

Status
Not open for further replies.