Upgrade laptop or buy ps4

aleku99

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
Hi to all of you. I have a laptop , an asus x550l( i5 4200u, gt 840m 2 gb and 4gb ram). I think that next summer dad will buy me a ps4( it will depend on my grades, im in the 9th grade). Is it worth to upgrade my laptop to 8gb ram? If i upgrade ,will i see an improvment in games ? Thanks in advance.

Solution
Just upgrading the system with 8 gig of RAM won't really preclude you from a PS4. RAM is about 1/8th the cost of a PS4, you can easily do both.

That laptop is a pretty good one, it will be even better with 8 gb of RAM but you won't be able to tell much of a difference in most use.
You will generally not see much of an improvement in games by upgrading from 4GB to 8GB. However, if you get "low memory" errors, then it is recommended that you do upgrade. I played Star Trek Online with my laptop from time to time with only 4GB of RAM and a Radeon HD 8850m with 2GB of dedicated VRAM, and from time to time I got those errors and in a few cases, may laptop froze. Upgrading to 8GB of RAM fixed that issue.

It is best to get a PS4 for games because games designed to for the PS4 will run on the PS4... unless it is a totally bugged game to begin with. A PS4 game released in 2020 will run on any PS4 no matter when it is purchased because the hardware remains the same. In the PC arena new hardware is always coming out and games are always pushing the performance envelop. While your current laptop may give you decent performance for most 2014 games, as the years progress, the hardware requirements will increase.

Just upgrading the system with 8 gig of RAM won't really preclude you from a PS4. RAM is about 1/8th the cost of a PS4, you can easily do both.

That laptop is a pretty good one, it will be even better with 8 gb of RAM but you won't be able to tell much of a difference in most use.

Solution

aleku99

Estimable
Jul 2, 2014
I don't receive any of those errors you mentioned but my laptop is freezing when i play demanding games like fc4 or bf4 and do multitasking at the same time. Will upgrading to 8 gb help or my processor is to slow for multitasking when gamung?