Upgrade PC to VR-Ready

S0cke2

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Hi Guys

Since the new Skyrim VR came out, im thinking about buying a new VR-Ready PC along with an oculus. But because my PC is still 18 months old, maybe upgrading it could get me the same for much less.

So here is the thing: I'm planning on Playing Skyrim VR with a lot of mods and this ic my current setup:

CPU: Intel Core i5-6600K f
CPU Cooler: Noctua NHD15
Motherboard: Asrocks Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4
Memory: CORSAIR Vengeance LPX (2x, 8GB, DDR4-3000)
Storage: Samsung 850 EVO MZ-75E250
Video Card: Radeon HD 7970
Power Supply: Corsair CX650M
Case: fractal design define r5

So far i didnt have the need to OC, i think this would change with upgrading to VR. But as I was thinking about it, i'm currently planning on just upgrading my Video card to a GTX 1080. With OC to maybe aroung 4.5 Ghz, i dont see a real bottleneck. What do you guys think?

Do you see any problems with that upgrade, regarding my plan for Skyrim-VR?

Solution
As said, 16GB is more than enough for any current game. Perhaps @lucaswyrm meant to add +4GB to each stick, making it 2x8 instead of 2x4...

Nevertheless, 3.0 USB ports are faster so i'd plug any device that need speed in them, your mobo has quite a few of them so i believe that's no problem for you.

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
No, definitely the only thing holding you back in Skyrim is that GPU.

Changing it to a much powerful card as the 1080 will erase any problems you'll have and probably you won't even need to overclock it, as it might even be overkill @1080p

S0cke2

Commendable
Sep 5, 2016
Thanks manddy123 and lucaswyrm. It reassures me that the CPU wont be a bottleneck, even with lots of mesh mods and the like.

Reg. RAM: I heard about some problems people got with 8GB RAM running Skyrim VR, like 5 sec. freezes and the like. But I didn't think there would be a problem with 16 GB. Also I find your recomendation of +4GB strange, adding +4 GB to 2x8GB. Does anyone else think RAM could possibly be my bottleneck here?

Also something i was considering: I heard that the USB ports were causing some problems with Oculus regarding speed. That means I would have to keep an eye on my Mainboard and USB-ports as well if I want VR-Readyness? So far i was only looking at CPU, GPU and RAM...

justin.m.beauvais

Prominent
Dec 15, 2017
16 GB of RAM is enough. Not sure what lucaswyrm was reading. Definitely get a GPU upgrade, also make sure that you have a USB 3.0 port (or a few) available. People having problems usually are trying to plug into USB 2.0 ports. So, if you are short on USB 3.0 ports you might need a PCI-E expansion card for USB 3.0 and/or 3.1 ports. Those usually aren't too expensive though.

manddy123

Commendable
Aug 25, 2016
As said, 16GB is more than enough for any current game. Perhaps @lucaswyrm meant to add +4GB to each stick, making it 2x8 instead of 2x4...

Nevertheless, 3.0 USB ports are faster so i'd plug any device that need speed in them, your mobo has quite a few of them so i believe that's no problem for you.

Solution