Upgrade RAM or buy new Laptop?

Plotnus

Honorable
Oct 3, 2013
So, should I upgrade my laptops ram, and OS or save up for a new laptop?

Laptop:
MacBook Pro 5,1 late 2008 unibody 15"
2.4GHz Intel Core 2 Duo
2GB (two 1GB SO-DIMMs) of 1066MHz DDR3 SDRAM
http://

Station use as portable school/coding/learning comp I will have to upgrade to use current JDK if I keep the comp. Also, I don't have alot of money, as I am a student.

Also what are your opinions on upgrading?

Thanks.

Sharphawk1234

Estimable
Mar 5, 2014
Well you can max out your ram for about $80 so thats a viable option if that was the main culprit. However if it cant process the programs and there's stutter etc then you will need to upgrade the computer. If you need to upgrade the whole laptop look into used laptops on ebay or online since you are on a budget, or just get a pc:)

brethrenigarashi

Honorable
Jan 8, 2014
usually, you can only update memory/hdd on a laptop. upgrading the ram will increase it's memory but won't make it any faster. If you're not using this on gaming or video editing, i think it's fine. :)

If it treats you well enough as it is, then sure, you can max out the memory on this laptop. Technology has come a ways since '08 though; we now have newer CPUs and your Macbook is one generation behind in memory technology (DDR2 vs DDR3).

What does your budget look like? And would you be willing/are you able to consider Windows over Mac OS X?