Upgrade this old satellite, or punt and start anew??

ReticentPersuer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
First off I would like to thank you for your time! I appreciate your opinion and help.

lets get to it. I have a satellite A505 toshiba laptop. It is an Intel core i3 with 4gb ram and a GeForce 310m (removable). I have all but abandoned this old guy, turning to my ipad and phone for most of my needs. I recently decided to get back into using it and partitioned 40gb of my harddrive and am now running linux mint. This made a world of difference in speed. I finally enjoy my laptop again.

Now, my battery is toast as this thing is like 5 years old... so I would need to replace that. I am considering adding 4gb of ram, and possibly upgrading the graphics card. Is this pointless on such an old rig? If so... should I upgrade to building my own desktop, or stick to the more portable sylish couterpart?

I hope to game some (dayz mod) and mostly surf the net. Thanks again for your time and I look forward to your response!

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
Time to punt. The Card may be removable but the cost for it will far exceed the value of the laptop if you can even put a modern one in. Laptop/desktop question depends on your budget and whether you need it to be portable.

ReticentPersuer

Estimable
Apr 14, 2014
Portability doesnt matter a whole lot to me. budget would be around 800 or less. less is always good. As long as I can play dayz on high settings, and wont need to start all over real soon. I am happy. I just dont want a budget build that will force me into a corner a few years down the road

Mobile graphics cards are very restricted in their ability to be swapped out for a newer model. I'm not 100% on the 310M, but I THINK this is a surface mounted chip (meaning it's soldered to the laptop's motherboard and is not a removable card).

In either case, the cost is generally not worth it, and with an aging system touting an i3, it won't do a lot of good to upgrade the GPU when the CPU will "bottleneck" it.

My suggestion: if you're happy with your tablet and phone for general purpose mobile computing, then stick with those and build yourself a tower. It will treat you better in terms of cost to performance ratio, longevity (most likely), and overall performance.

Hopefully that helps!

EDIT:
Perhaps this will help: http://pcpartpicker.com/parts/partlist/

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014

Sounds good desktop it is then you will get better performance for the price let me see what I can find.

Spectre694

Estimable
Feb 28, 2014
Something like this

PCPartPicker part list / Price breakdown by merchant / Benchmarks

CPU: AMD FX-8320 3.5GHz 8-Core Processor ($149.99 @ NCIX US)
Motherboard: Asus M5A99FX PRO R2.0 ATX AM3+ Motherboard ($115.89 @ Newegg)
Memory: G.Skill Ripjaws X Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory ($67.50 @ Newegg)
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive ($56.99 @ NCIX US)
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 760 2GB Video Card ($239.99 @ NCIX US)
Case: NZXT Source 210 (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case ($37.99 @ Micro Center)
Power Supply: SeaSonic 520W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply ($69.99 @ Newegg)
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 8.1 (OEM) (64-bit) ($89.98 @ OutletPC)
Total: $828.32
(Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available.)
(Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-04-14 19:33 EDT-0400)

TRENDING THREADS