Upgrade Win 7 to Win 10 - Having Sound Problems!

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Here is what I have:
I have a mint laptop, HP Compaq Presario C501NR. When I upgrade from Win 7 to Win 10, the sound isn't there. In Win 10, if I go to the sound page to test the sound, it works when I test it. But as far as using the laptop, there is NO sound. No log off sound, no log on sound, nothing. It wont play music, nothing. In Win 7, the laptop works fine. It has the Conexant High Definition Smart Audio HD2 sound driver. I have tried different remedies with no luck. Even tried a fix on Micro Soft and nothing. Went to HP but they don't have anything listed on their site but the model and serial numbers because its TOO OLD. Even Dell would have a listing for it if it was a Dell. I'd like to run the Win 10 on this laptop. Win 10 runs fine. Sound doesn't. I'd like to find the files that the laptop came with, but no can do. Any ideas?

Solution
********UPDATE********
So today I sat down and reloaded Win 10 again. Same thing. No sound...BUT...I went in under "SOUND" and whatever I did, the sound kicked in!!! And I continued on and kept track of what things I was modifying. Where it says to disable enhancements, I tried it both ways and both ways worked! I checked the boxes by the BASS and Sound equalization and the sound REALLY sounds great!! What a difference! Thanks for all the help.
G

If it's just audio that doesn't work, you could buy an external sound card for your laptop - - any new external soundcard is bound to work with Windows 10 even if your laptop's internal soundcard doesn't. Of course, going down that route will mean having to buy a pair of active external speakers too, because your laptop's internal speakers still won't work, not with an external soundcard.

With an external soundcard and a pair of external speakers it's not going to be a very portable laptop any more, but laid out on top of a desk it will look fine - - - may be you could manage without sound when you need to use your laptop away from the desk?

jimr1354

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
********UPDATE********
So today I sat down and reloaded Win 10 again. Same thing. No sound...BUT...I went in under "SOUND" and whatever I did, the sound kicked in!!! And I continued on and kept track of what things I was modifying. Where it says to disable enhancements, I tried it both ways and both ways worked! I checked the boxes by the BASS and Sound equalization and the sound REALLY sounds great!! What a difference! Thanks for all the help.

Solution