Upgrading a 14" laptop

Weissach

Honorable
Mar 21, 2013
Hey guys, this is my first post in these forums, bear with me as I'm somewhat of a newbie when it comes to PC hardware :)

So, I've got a an Alienware M14XR1, purchased.. almost three years ago I think.

Specs:

RAM-8GB (upgraded from stock 4GB)
CPU-"Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2630QM CPU @ 2,00 GHz"
GPU-"Intel(R) HD Graphics 3000"
Storage-"Samsung 128GB SSD (standard 500GB HDD crashed)
OS-Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit

I know that the graphics card SUCKS, and the CPU is pretty good, not amazing, but pretty good, and the RAM is decent. Now, my graphics card is integrated into the motherboard. correct? I can replace my motherboard. right?

Are motherboards for desktops the same as for laptops? And how much can I expect to pay for a decent motherboard with integrated GPU?

Oh, and can I put a REAL GPU in my laptop? Or am i stuck with integrated because it's a 14"?

Thanks in advance, lemme know if I left anything out :) I'm tired..

Emerald

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2005
you cannot upgrade your motherboard and desktop motherboards are not the same than laptop motherboards.

http://www.alienwarearena.com/forums/topic/17727/general-discussion/possible-in-upgrading-graphics-card-on-m14x-/

Tibbs01

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2012

As the other's stated there is not real way to upgrade those parts, however you only have the intel hd 3000 listed as your gpu. Your model of that laptop also has a discrete gt 555m (and one of the higher end versions), which is a decent mid-range card. You might make sure you don't have it disabled as the configuration you have with the gt 555m enabled should still play even some of the newer and more demanding titles at decent settings and frames.