UPGRADING CPU.... dv5-1004 ...possible???

RpD

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Anyone know if it's possible to replace the CPU on an HP dv5-1004nr??? :eek:

Or overclock it?? :ouch:

Just wondering... 'cause the Turion dual core with Vista64 and 4GB is a dog. :fou:
More RAM would cost more than the notebook did. :pfff:

About to try dual boot, and put XP Pro on it.
(Spare me the vista-bash, hmmm? :non: No they don't want linux, etc)
Maybe beta Win7 would help... maybe I'll see this weekend. :pt1cable:

:cry:

RpD

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
CPU is the AMD Turion X2 Ultra mobile technology ZM-80 / 2.1 GHz

(Guess I could go look it up ;) Just wondered if anybody might have done it already or another HP dv notebook, though there's multiple flavors.

That CPU sound like it's pinned or soldered? ;)

[Edit]: Googled... apparently, a person can buy this processor... even perhaps as an HP upgrade kit, if I read write. [heheh... I meant 'read right'... weird homonymical dyslexia ;] Guess I should ask HP for their comments, and recommendations.

cheaptofix

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2008
u're looking to burn the cpu. each laptop is designed to handle nomore than what it has because of the cooling system, buy new laptop or build a desktop

RpD

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
While your comment may be right to varying extent... it is somewhat of a 'generalism'.
Your proposed options are to give up and take a loss. I think I will continue to investigate further.

frozenlead

Distinguished
With the stock cap at 2.4GHz, I would only upgrade if you really use CPU intensive apps, or you're trying to escape a CPU bottleneck. Otherwise, the extra 300MHz won't bring you a whole lot.

RpD

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Yeah... well, thanks.
Maybe 'down the road' with similar cpu's as they get cheaper.
as it is, this 'new' notebook too oft seems hurry up and wait... not what you expect from a new machine. Switching MS OS version seems better option... still waiting on Win7 beta.

Now, on to replacing a dead mobo... cheesy emachine desktop :whistle: