Upgrading my old Acer Aspire 7738G

Rinku85

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016
I am thinking of breathing new life into my old -nearly dead- Acer Aspire 7738G. Nowadays, it is just a, rarely used, secondary system but i thought, what the heck, if it is low cost why not giving it a second chance?

Apart from the SSD and the RAM, is it possible to also upgrade the processor and the VGA?

The CPU is a Penryn Intel Core 2 duo T6400 2.00 Ghz, which, if I read correctly the manual, is not soldered. Since it will, anyhow, be quite old, I was thinking of having at least a 4 core, specifically the 2.5Ghz QX9300 Extreme. Or maybe the 3Ghz dual core T9900...?

The Graphics Card is a NVIDIA GT130M. I guess everything would be better but I would like the best possible option.

Even upgraded, its role wont change much: an old laptop for traveling and vacations for movies, browsing and maybe some light gaming (Football Manager mainly).

Any suggestion and opinion would be useful.

Thanks.

Rinku85

Commendable
Dec 23, 2016

First of all, thank you for your answer.

You know what, as long as it's low cost, I believe it's worth the risk of experimenting.
I mean, if everything works out it can still be a somewhat useful 17.3 laptop.
If not, eh, it is almost a decade old and already on its deathbed (keeps shutting down when stressed and/or heated- yes, the fan and exhaust pipe are dust free).