Usb 3;0 and transfer speeds

heyheyhoo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
Hi I was just wandering how long should it take to transfer a 25GB 1080p HD movie to a standard deff disk? because it takes approx 3hours. Is it somthing to do with the transfer speeds of usb 2.0? would it be quicker if I got a usb 3.0 laptop? as I am going to buy a new laptop 2moz. either toshiba a500 or asus n61jv.

Are you transferring the movie to an external HDD or just a DVD? If you are going for an external drive, yes, USB 3.0 will help immensely, i.e. it should easily cut your time in half. Just be sure to get an external drive that has USB 3.0 ports, as you'll see the greatest results.

foscooter

Distinguished
Feb 26, 2010
^+1.

Just plugging a device into a USB 3.0 port doesn't give you USB 3.0 speeds, unless it's a USB 3.0 device. And I don't know if external DVD have USB 3.0 yet.

heyheyhoo

Distinguished
Feb 20, 2010
im just transfering it to dvd. The other thing I was wandering it could be is if it is takeing longer because it is shot in HD and havin to change it to a format that will go on to dvd? will it be quicker if I used the e-sata port?

If you are just transferring to DVD, it's going to take awhile regardless of what sort of USB you have. It takes time for the laser to write all of that data, regardless of how fast it may be, i.e. 24x, etc...

armanali

Distinguished
May 24, 2010

Right the point we need both host and device with similar transfer rate. I think we have to wait some more time to get USB 3.0 devices.
:pt1cable:

criticcc

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2009
IF your talking about burning HD video on to regular dvd.. then it has to re-encode the format from Blue ray to .vob or watever they call the regular dvd format. That takes time which depends on your whole system specs. Also some software just sucks at re-encoding, you can research some alternative software. If your burner is connected to your laptop by USB then USB 2.0 to USB 3.0 upgrade will be worth it.

stevetee

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2010
Is there any advantage in using an external USB 3.0 DVD-ROM drive in a netbook to play a movie rather than using a USB 2.0 DVD-ROM? Will the video playback be smoother?

lotri

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2010
Netbooks have USB 3.0 ports? oO I guess it would theoretically be smoother, but I'm not sure about practical application. Wouldn't playback in higher definition be restricted by the hardware on the netbook?