Solved! usb 3.0 booster

Solution
When you look at how thin USB cables are you should understand why they're hardly capable.of passing HD video over any long distance.

You'd be far better with a VGA to HDMI active converter & a decent quality length of HDMI cable.

Hold on , that PC has dvi-d out according to the specs

You should just be using a dvi to HDMI cable , no conversion necessary at all.

TechnoQuest

Estimable
Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I could save some money buying a powered 15 ft 3.0 cable and connecting that to a regular 15 ft 3.0 cable. Would that work? Thanks, again.

Scottray

Respectable
Jul 14, 2016
I've personally had problems with 15 ft usb cables. For a $20 differential, I'd would buy the longer cable, so that I would have to deal with returns if the shorter cable didn't work. On the other hand, you may be more concerned about the $20, and not care about the time spent dealing with returns. Your call. Technically, I can't recommend one over the other.

^ I'm with getochkn here .
If a board doesn't have HDMI I highly doubt its going to support video out via USB 3 !?!

I know there are some new laptops with usb-c digital video out but no desktops I've heard of .

Your TV certainly is unlikely to support video over its USB socket either.

TechnoQuest

Estimable
Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for the advice. $20 isn't a deal breaker but if I save money on this cable I can spend it somewhere else. I will go with the longer one with a booster if I do decide to try that cable as a solution.

TJ Hooker

Honorable
Apr 15, 2014
Are you just ignoring @madmatt30's post? There's like a 99% chance you won't be able to output video from your PC to your TV over USB. There's probably few (possibly none) motherboards that support video output over USB (and even if there are, they would likely be pretty new, which yours probably isn't if it doesn't have HDMI). Plus, AFAIK video over USB is only supported over USB-C (you didn't specify what USB connector type). It's even rarer for TV's to support video in over USB (again, maybe even nonexistent).

You're better off getting a converter to go from VGA to whatever your TV has for video inputs.

TechnoQuest

Estimable
Jul 9, 2017

I bought this a couple years ago and did not look for hdmi out. I guess I assumed anything that new would have it. HP 700-406.

TechnoQuest

Estimable
Jul 9, 2017

Not ignoring anyone, just now getting caught up here. I'm just looking for advice/solutions before I spend time and money on something that may not work. I'm currently converting the usb to hdmi but the tv sometimes goes blank. I'd like to use that hdmi port for another device. That's why I'm wanting to try the usb cable. No problems with other devices using hdmi on the tv. AND I don't know nearly as much as I'd like to about things like this but I do keep learning. Tv is Samsung UN55JU6500. Thanks to all for your input.

When you look at how thin USB cables are you should understand why they're hardly capable.of passing HD video over any long distance.

You'd be far better with a VGA to HDMI active converter & a decent quality length of HDMI cable.

Hold on , that PC has dvi-d out according to the specs

You should just be using a dvi to HDMI cable , no conversion necessary at all.

Solution

TechnoQuest

Estimable
Jul 9, 2017

Thanks for reply and suggestion but the reason I want to do this is to free up the hdmi port on the tv. I already have used a usb 3 to hdmi converter and that worked so that's why I was wondering if a usb 3.0 with in-line booster would work. Again, if I can use usb 3 from desktop to tv, I can use the last hdmi port on the tv for another device. Thanks for your time. I appreciate it.