USB device not recognized

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 7, 2018
I tether my Samsung galaxy grand prime to my Samsung laptop. I've never had a problem until today. It worked fine last night but today when i click the tether box on my phone, a few seconds later the laptop displays the message "usb device not recognized". So I thought maybe my cord went bad. I've tried 4 different cords now, but I get the same response with each one. Any suggestions?

Solution
The amount of data 'should' be the same for either. The only way you can know for certain, in your case, would be to test the usage both ways.

It may be the USB port that is the issue. Try this...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
3. Double-click on the "USB Root Hub device".
4. Now click the "Power Management" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the "OK" button.

NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer and see if it works now.
Feb 7, 2018
Sorry webworkings, idk why it's saying I voted down for your answer. I was just trying to reply to you. I did reboot the laptop, but not the phone yet. I will try that after posting this message. The internet on my phone is working fine. I did not receive any updates on either device that I'm aware of. Thank you for your suggestions, I'll try rebooting the phone now. Also, idk if it matters or not but my hotspot is working fine and I can still get online on my laptop using that. However, I prefer to tether because I believe i use less data that way.

The amount of data 'should' be the same for either. The only way you can know for certain, in your case, would be to test the usage both ways.

It may be the USB port that is the issue. Try this...

1. Go to "Control Panel" and then "Device Manager".
2. Expand the "Universal Serial Bus controllers" section.
3. Double-click on the "USB Root Hub device".
4. Now click the "Power Management" tab.
5. Uncheck the "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power" option.
6. Click the "OK" button.

NOTE: If there is more than one "USB Root Hub device" listed, Then you will have to repeat this steps for each one of them.

7. Restart the computer and see if it works now.

Solution
Status
Not open for further replies.