USB headset and speakers playing at the same time

minokitten

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012
I have a creative 5.1 surround sound with a headphone jack built in the audio controller. My headset is a Tritton Kunai plugged in via usb and also has stereo RCA which I have in a 3.5mm adapter that plugs into the Creative 5.1 built-in headphone jack. It was working fine a few hours ago, but now all of a sudden, everything plays out of both the speakers and the headset even though the headset is plugged into the headphone jack; the speakers should be muted like it did before. I was able to independently control communications and audio between the two.

Running Windows 7 Ultimate, P8Z77-I Deluxe motherboard, realtek HD audio 6.0.1.6873 with ALC898 codec. Speakers are connected to the 3 ports in the back; nothing connected to the front panel audio jacks. If you need any more information, let me know.

Thanks in advance!

Pics:
eb09dc8b_webcam-toy-photo17.jpeg

6d36c6b1_webcam-toy-photo19.jpeg

7df4a836_webcam-toy-photo18.jpeg

RealBeast

Distinguished
If you don't see an obvious box that can be checked to mute the speakers when headphones are connected, which you probably don't have or you would have seen it then try this:

Open the Sound control panel

Highlight the Playback tab. Plug in your headset while looking for the device that goes from Not plugged in to Ready. That is your headphones. Highlight them and set as default with the lower right button and then select apply.

This should set your headset to be the default while they are plugged in and return to your other speakers when they aren't.

minokitten

Honorable
Dec 11, 2012

This works when I set my Trittons to default, but it only works over USB. Having the USB plugged in causes the headset to receive both computer audio and communications audio as the same input therefore not allowing the built-in controller to adjust the sounds independently; the communications rocker is rendered unusable and the computer audio rocker controls both. Before it stopped working, I was able to have the USB always in and all I had to do was plug in the RCA to the headphone jack on my surround sound controler.