USB Headset making a constant hum/beeping noise

Kritya

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013
My girlfriend has a USB headset, and when we're in a skype call together I can hear this constant hum/beeping noise, here's a quick recording of it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=05R7JO9UT10.

We've tried the front usb 3.0 ports, the rear 3.0 ports and rear 2.0 ports, no front 2.0 ports on her case. We even tried using the usb extension lead from her wifi adapter and her keyboard's usb passthrough, neither made much difference.

For a while changing the microphones default format from CD quality to DVD quality seemed to make it better however this doesn't seem to work anymore.

Just wondering what might be causing this and if there's a way to get rid of the noise, we have tried power cycling her machine to see if that would help and it had no effect.

On the same note, if she got an Asus Xonar U3 USB soundcard with an analog headset, would this happen with that setup?

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
The noise is probably because the microphone is just not trying to filter out the surrounding noise. If you go to your microphones properties there are options to reduce outside noise by using software filters. This will greatly reduce outside noise. Also, if you are missing the foam noise reducer, that makes a HUGE difference in noise production.

Kritya

Honorable
Dec 12, 2013

We tested this, by sitting infront of her PC but using the headset with her laptop instead of with her computer, the noise wasn't there. And yes the PC was running so any of the background noise, be it fans, hard drives etc. was still there, but this doesn't appear to be what was picked up on her mic.

Although something I don't understand, is that now she has plugged the headset into the top left usb port at the back it is barely making any background noise at all which has me really confused because when she tried the one right below it the noise is there. I don't think, well hope it's not the usb ports themselves because she's tested it with the lower 6 of 8 usb ports on the back of the PC and the noise is there, and with the front 2 ports.

Her mobo is a Maximus VI Hero C2 if that helps at all.

gilbadon

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2008
It is not the USB ports. They do not produce noise in general because it is a digital signal. The issue is in software on the desktop. I would go into device manager and uninstall the current drivers for the device. That would make it so it installs the device as if it were brand new. I am wondering if it mistook the drivers or something the first time. Also there are settings to set up the microphone. You should play with all of them and adjust the settings until a better output results.