USB headset not being detected

SAgeMoonblade

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
I purchased a Hyperx cloud 2 headset, the 3.5 mm jack works fine however the USB connection is not working on my pc but works fine with both connections on my wife's pc. The Hyperx 7.1 shows up in my devices and printers but not as an audio playback or as a recoding device to select. The only devices that show are my normal realtek speakers plugged into the green 3.5mm jack, the hdmi that goes to my monitor without speakers, and a s/pdif port that nothing is plugged into (not sure how to get rid of that last one, I can disable it but doesn't help). Even with everything unplugged or disabled it still doesn't work. I do get beeps when I adjust the volume on the USB cable pendant but no audio. I have ran the troubleshooter, windows update, and device detection without any of that helping. The headset has no drivers.

SAgeMoonblade

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
When I right click it brings up the usual menu, nothing to really change other than the properties menu but that seems fine. I have ran my USB mouse and keyboard off the same port for testing purposes, they work fine. I have tried the headset on 6 different USB ports, a mix of both USB 2 and 3.

Deeper problem it appears.

Since there are no drivers per se, I was wondering about firmware:

http://www.kingston.com/us/hyperx/support/technical/model=khx-hscp

However that does not explain the headset working on your wife's pc and not yours unless maybe the OS (different?) or overall setup is involved.

I also thought about some "country code" possibility but that idea is likewise negated.

You probably know about the performance and resource monitors. Used to show what processes and resources are being used.

What I would do is open the windows on your wife's pc, and while watching, plug in the headset to see if any processes start or stop. Or for any other changes for that matter.

Then do the same on your pc.

In both tests, close as many applications as possible beforehand to reduce the number of running processes.

Finding and identifying the doesn't work vs work difference (or differences) is the objective.

And the beeps are of interest and value also. The Event Viewer logs may be capturing some related error.

But, for my sake, one thing at a time.....

SAgeMoonblade

Estimable
Sep 14, 2014
Her computer and mine both were built back to back, part for part. Identical motherboard, os, ram, cpu, coolers, cases, GPU, keyboard and mouse. The only differences are that the only sound device her computer ever uses is through HDMI being that her monitor has built in speakers. Her computer doesn't show the active s/pdif port that mine shows. The s/pdif on mine is always active and never has anything plugged into it unless I force disable it but even then it shows up in the playback device section.

My first reaction was to see if the headsets work if you move her monitor to your pc.

Bit of work so placed that in the "last resort" category - for the moment anyway.

The s/pdif not being shown on her computer but showing on yours needs to be looked at especially if the systems are (or were to be) identical.

I have noted that s/pdif is used for copy protection purposes. Could be that your system, having s/pdif however that may be, is deciding that the headset is in violation of some "rule". Her system does not see that.

Are the s/pdif ports physically removable or unconnectable inside the case.

Does a right click on the s/pdif in playback device section open any properties there? Compare to wife's pc.

Again, continuing to look for a difference... seems to have narrowed somewhat.

Gina_9

Commendable
Apr 16, 2016

I am having the same issue, did you find a fix?