USB requirements for Oculus Rift

Zaber177

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
Hey. I have a small question. Recently bought a new computer and all things are ready for the VR system-- whenever I can get the money to pay for the extra gear.

The small detail i was concerned about was not knowing how many USB 3.0s involved to run the Oculus Rift. Just like to know and hopefully you can easily just buy another hardware port hub to install more USB 3.0s right?

I am hoping it is not a difficult procedure to add more if it is required. I'd appreciate a response and thank you.

Sincerely,

Zaber

Solution
You can run their system compatibility test and it will analyse your USB ports for number and compatibility. You should be fine. My oculus runs great on my older Asus P8P67 mobo.

Shaun o

Distinguished
Well new motherboard come with a front port header for two usb 3.0 ports at least on the system case, or for the fitting of them on the motherboard.

After that it is down to the motherboard brand, and model of the motherboard you buy, plus the cost of the board in general
As to how many USB 3.0 spec ports are provided on the motherboard.

Most do also have at least another two 3.0 spec usb ports on the main I/O on the back of the motherboard.

If you buy an expensive motherboard for a Intel, or Amd Fx based cpu, it`s often the case you are provided with a wealth of USB ports If very new of 3.0 usb specification.

Your only other choice if you are limited to how many current Usb 3.0 ports are provided by the motherboard of your system as it stands.

Is to buy a Pci-e x4 or x1 based card that provides extra usb 3.0 spec ports on the add in card Zaber.

Something like bellow, providing you have a free Pci-e x4 card slot on the motherboard as it stands.

Click bellow on the link to see the expansion card with usb 3.0 ports on it.
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Inateck-Superspeed-Ports-PCI-E-Expansion/dp/B00FPIMICA/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1468463979&sr=8-5&keywords=pci-e+usb+3+card

Zaber177

Commendable
Mar 29, 2016
@Shaun o

Well this is the mother board i got for my rig. "MSI Z170A Gaming Pro CARBON ATX w/ Programmable Lighting, USB 3.1, 3 PCIe x16, 4 PCIe x1, 1 SATA Express, 4 SATA3, 1 Ultra M.2 " I saw similar packaging. I am of course willing to get the external outlet ports for it, just want to be sure it would be compatible.

Ripthruster

Distinguished
Nov 28, 2010
You can run their system compatibility test and it will analyse your USB ports for number and compatibility. You should be fine. My oculus runs great on my older Asus P8P67 mobo.

Solution